Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Gospel Decades - John 20:11-18

BEADS OF JOY 4-10-12 “Gospel Decades”
©2012 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

Today is Tuesday in Octave of Easter B

Gospel: (John 20:11-18 –Mary of Magdala sees Jesus)
But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb, and as she wept she stooped to look into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and one at the feet. They said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him." Saying this, she turned round and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom do you seek?" Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away." Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabboni!" (This means Teacher). Jesus said to her, "Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." Mary Magdala went and said to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord"; and she told them that he had said these things to her.”

1 – Our Father -10 Hail Mary’s –Glory be..- Oh My Jesus..

Reflection: My Friends,

Why couldn’t Mary see it was Jesus standing before her, right from the start? Sometimes we stay too focused on our own selves. Even in sorrow for the very person we have lost in our lives, somehow we take our eyes off that person; I guess it’s our own sorrow about our own broken heart that keeps us focused way too much on ourselves. It’s not intentional. I honestly can understand Mary’s blind sightedness to not see Him even though He was right there. As many of you know, this past December 14, 2011, a most dear close friend and brother of mine passed away (Fr. Gerald Mullally). For those of you, who know me well for many years; know that I always spoke of him, more often than anyone else in my life. He played a very significant spiritual roll in my life. Not only was he a dear close friend of 20+ years (but I always considered him my brother), he was our family friend (we considered him family); he was our parish priest, my confessor; and most importantly, he was also my Spiritual Director. He and I began that endeavor back in the early 1990’s, I was his first student. He had to get direction from the Bishop on how to be a Spiritual Director. His influence and presence in my life was very important; I always considered him my rudder. For whenever I would drift or point a little bit in the wrong direction; he’d call me, text me, Facebook me, whatever, we used all outlets of communications. LOL. But honestly, it was rare that I did, his influence and faith was something that seriously kept mine on track, and following his lead to the Cross; Fr. Mullally always directed me to Jesus, it was never about him, it was always about Jesus and Mary and Joseph. I miss him a lot, I can’t hide that fact. But I sometimes drift off in that sorrow thinking about our conversations, inside jokes, serious spiritual thoughts, genuine concerns about my spiritual walk, and so much more.

Then I had a dream last week. We left Mass as a family and after we got home, I told Chrissy I am going back to take a bunch of pictures of the altar (I did this a lot, in fact I did it the last day I saw Father Mullally, for Fr. And it was on the SD Card I gave him the last day I saw him.). So there is a connection to that event to him for me in my life now. So in this dream I went there, and who was sitting in the front row, looking at the altar… it was Fr. Mullally. I thought to myself, “What??, this can’t be possible, I must be dreaming.” So I approached him in awe, and I said, “Hello Fr. What are you doing here? You must know how much I have missed you, but why are you here?” He turned to me and said, with his typical huge smile beaming back at me, “Jim, I never left you guys; I am here, praying for everyone like I always did, I am so happy things are moving in a positive direction here. And yes I miss you to, but it’s ok, we will unite again my dear friend, we will my brother.” Needless to say the closure that gave me. Fr Mullally will always be a very significant part of who I am, he played a huge role in my spiritual walk, but now I see more clearly that my focus is more Jesus directed.

Pondering these thoughts today: Do we see Jesus right before us in our everyday life? Is it obvious to us that His Blessed hand is in our lives in all that we do? And even though at times, we feel we don’t see Him, and we don’t sense Him there; do we still believe in Him, and do we rejoice anyway? Let us think of that, and let us try to see Jesus more in our daily life.

Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS