Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Good Portion Was Chosen

Beads of Joy 10-05-10

The Good Portion Was Chosen
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Absolute, complete, undisturbed, fully focused peace of Christ, now that's what we are talking about. Does that sound like your home? or your own personal private prayer life? It does to me. At least absolutely in the personal private prayer life department. The house I admit has a floating, changing, unknown imbalance of adults, kids, cats, jobs, doctors and oh everything else you can possibly imagine. lol. Our life no doubt is consumed by needless concerns and preoccupations that sometimes take away all our time, energy and attention that we want to give to our Lord. Today let us reflect on Luke 10:38-42 (Martha and Mary). Today's scripture is all about two sister serving our Lord in two different ways. Each with the best of intentions, but only one got the good portion. How can we make sure, that to the best of our ability we live each day like Mary chose, to be at Jesus' feet. Many of you might think I am like Mary all the time. Well to the best of my ability that is very true everyday; but even I get consumed in the "work of worship" rather than the "love and desire of actual worship". But I am very aware of the difference and would rather spend time on my knees at His feet, than be consumed by anything else that takes me from Him. Simply do what I do, give Jesus all 24 hours, then fit everything else around that.

We must be seeking Jesus every single day very attentively. This is why I believe living the simplest life, makes for a wonderfully overflowing one that is consumed by Jesus. To me there is no point in being consumed by anything else, spiritually speaking, nothing else matters. Yes I enjoy many things, places and hobbies and sports; but if they have nothing to do with Jesus, my interest level is lower. Our lives need to be consumed by the two most important things that we talked about yesterday, Jesus and our neighbor. It's all in the relationships, that help us journey closer to our Lord. Not only does the fellowship create a certain energy and excitement; but it also develops an atmosphere where are all looking out for one another. This journey wasn't ever meant to be traveled alone. We have each other, to help each other, to go to our Lord together. Isn't so wonderful how so many of us cling to one another, just because we have that common thread of Jesus in our lives. We just know, that we know. You know what I am saying. Our spirits are attracted to one another, and we desire each others fellowship, shared faith and common ground sensible chatter. lol. I love it. What do we talk about? What thrills us? What brings us Joy? Jesus, Jesus and Jesus.

Encouragement comes to us from God, and from each other. We can't be brothers and sisters in the Lord if we take this journey alone. Alone keeps you away from others, allowing other activities to consume us. I really know that so many of you live the life I publicly share. Isn't that just wonderful how because our lives are open, free and as the world would put it, "boring". We live a life of so much complete and overwhelming Joy, that we wouldn't have it any other way. The perfect life to me? Did someone just ask me that. What would I consider the perfect life? Well to sum it, it would be simply said, "totally consumed by Jesus". That is the perfect life. "To me staring out every single day at morning Mass, followed by some light hearted fellowship, then going back home to pray my rosary and study God's word for as many hours as I possibly can, being literally consumed by His love. Followed by continued fellowship with family and friends; while helping others along the way, and doing all I can to draw others to our Lord." Wow, time to take a breather. LOL. This is possible, I have lived this in the past.

Just do it, that's what I say. But some ask, how? Think of your life like this: Let's say you find out that you have a terminal illness (God forbid). This is just a story, a parable of sorts in its design. Well let's say the doctors told you, you can't play sports anymore or doing any risky physical activity, and you need to get your rest and you must take certain medicine every single day. And if you don't, you run the risk of dying a lot sooner and more painfully then you ever thought. Now let's put that in context with our Lord and living our life for Him. Jesus warns us about the pleasures of this world. He told us how our hearts, mind, soul and strength must be consumed with Him. And He told us in today's gospel that Mary chose the good portion. The time we have here is very short, not only in comparison to the eternity of our future; but even more in the reality that the average person only lives about 80 years. Let us be wise in how we chose to spend our time, energy and effort. I leave you with this, "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah 2:8. Amen. Like I end every blog, let us pray everyday, "Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Sorrowful Mysteries
1. Agony in the Garden
2. The Scourging at the Pillar
3. Crowing with Thorns
4. Carrying of the Cross
5. The Crucifixion of Jesus