Tuesday, October 4, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi…

BEADS OF JOY 10-04-16
“St. Francis of Assisi…”
©2016 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


Back on June 13, 2008 I was professed a Secular Franciscan. Now let me take you back about 18 month or so prior to that, which is late 2005, early 2006. I was on a quest to find something in my life to help me deepen my spiritual life. At the time I was already attending daily Mass, going to Bible study and working hard building the Rosary Ministry (writing and making rosary every day). So I referred to the Diocese webpage and I came across several organizations of interest. Please keep in mind I wasn’t looking to just join a group, I wanted to join a “commitment” an order basically. I was looking for one that a lay person with 5 kids can easily join. So I did my research on each of the ones I found. The back story of all of this is, way back in 1983 I had a desire to be a Priest or a Dad. Obviously a “Dad” won, but deep in my heart, that desire for deep spiritual commitment is still very strong.

In my research, Secular Franciscan was a near perfect fit. I thought by what I was learning about St. Francis that in many ways I was already a “Franciscan”. I knew somehow God had His mighty hand in all of this. I felt led and then I felt welcomed when I found and met the group, to which I began my Franciscan journey with. At the time we were under-going much turmoil in our family. I was let go from a few different jobs and my employment status became a major issue. At the same time, we had 5 kids home, all in school and most days if I wasn’t asking for help at different Churches and at the Salvation Army I was looking for work. I did take on several jobs along the way. We had several bad things happen through those years, a bad business deal, my inability to find a company who would keep me on without laying me off, it was not an easy road by any means. 

But through the smoke and dust of suffering I had Jesus at Mass every single day and I faithfully went to Adoration every single week. All this while working low paying jobs, anything I could find I took. We had hungry growing kids at home. I knew my place and my responsibility. No one individually, initially at the time stepped to the plate to help us and I didn’t ask or beg for help. Even though so many knew what was going on in our lives at the time. Then my Franciscan journey began, the 18 months of teaching and discernment turned out to be the 18 months of blessing and change our family so desperately needed. It’s all through my faith my sisters and brothers, I never ever gave up, even in the bleakest of times. My long time very dear friend Jack McElligott found out through my other longtime friend Ray Proulx of our plight. Jack immediately called me, Jack is a very spiritual man, we use to talk for hours on the phone. I mean like 3-4 hours a clip. Well he came to our rescue till he put me through school, helped me get my CDL-A license and he felt certain that we were ok. There is more to his story in our lives and me more specifically; but I won’t share that today. Did you know? In this year of 2016 I celebrate 8 years being a Secular Franciscan.



Today’s Thoughts: Why am I, a Secular Franciscan? I thought it be wonderful to share why I love being a Franciscan. So why is being a Franciscan such a perfect fit in my life? St. Francis detached himself basically from everything connecting him to this world; and the worldly pleasures and enjoyments of this world. That’s all me! St. Francis gave and gives everything he possesses away to others. That’s all me! St. Francis loves our Blessed Mother so deeply. That, you know is all me! St. Francis’ life is all about devotion and love and deep faith and trust in Jesus; there is no doubt that that is how I have always lived my life. 

When I learned about St. Francis I really knew this man (Saint) was someone I could so easily relate to. Way back then I wrote a letter (Essay) to my eventual Fraternity answering the question, why I felt I should be a Franciscan. I don’t recall the exact question. I remember it being very long and very detailed. I remember it was so exciting to write and so exciting taking that huge step closer to my profession. I took the last few months of study over the road in an 18-wheeler studying online, communicating with Al (my dear Franciscan brother) online. I miss my Fraternity a great deal, they won’t let me relocate. LOL! They say I will return! So we will see. 

Rule of The Franciscan Order: Chpt 2.9 “The Virgin Mary, humble servant of the Lord, was open to His every word and call. She was embraced by Francis with indescribable love and declared the protectress and advocate of his family. The Secular Franciscans should express their ardent love for her by imitating her complete self-giving and by praying earnestly and confidently.”

My Fraternity:



LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Your brother in Christ Jesus 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS

**(NEW DAILY FEATURE)

Today I share the Franciscan Crown Rosary…

How to Pray The Franciscan Crown Rosary

1. Using beads for the Franciscan Crown (seven decades), announce the First Mystery and pray the Our Father on the single bead just before the medallion.

2. Pray one Hail Mary for each of the ten beads. (It seems most fitting to proceed around the beads in a clockwise direction.)

3. On the single bead between the decades, announce the next Mystery and then pray the Our Father. Continue as in Step 2 for the remaining Mysteries.

4. After the last Mystery, pray one Hail Mary each on the fourth and third beads from the Cross to complete 72 years of Mary’s Joy.

5. Pray the Our Father and the Glory to the Father (Gloria Patri) for the intention of the Holy Father on the 2nd bead from the Cross.

6. Pray a Hail Mary on the single bead closest to you.

The Seven Joys of Mary

1. The Annunciation (Luke 1:26–38 & Isaiah 7:10-14)
May I become your humble servant, Lord.

2. The Visitation (Luke 1:39–45, 56)
Grant us true love of neighbor, Lord

3. The Nativity (Luke 2:1–7 & Matthew 2:1-12)
Give us true poverty of spirit, Lord.

4. The Adoration by the Magi (Matthew 2:1–2, 9b–11)
Help me obey all just laws.

5. The Finding of Our Lord in the Temple (Luke 2:41–51)
May I never lose you through serious sin, Lord.

6. The Resurrection (Luke 24:1–8 & Mark 16:1-8)
May we share your glory, Lord.

7. The Assumption (Judith 13:18 and Revelation 12:1; 21:1-6 and John 11:17-27)
Mary, may we share your crown of eternal life.

According to Franciscan tradition the Seven Joys of Our Lady are recited throughout the year. However, in recent years, some substitute the Seven Sorrows of Mary during penitential seasons.

To better understand all this go to the blog I wrote all about The Crown Rosary that includes a VIDEO that you can use to Pray The Crown Rosary:
http://beads-of-joy-blog.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-franciscan-crown-rosary.html