Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It Is Death, That Brings Life

Beads of Joy 08-10-11

It Is Death, That Brings Life
©2011 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everybody,

I pray this reflection isn’t too hard to understand, not intellectually; but spiritually hard to understand. Together we can work at understanding, how through death, life is reborn. Please understand I will not by any means speak to you in affluent educated way, I believe all the Beads of Joy writings show that; I will not use terms or language that I have to explain. I am a very simple man, seeking only to serve a splendid, amazing, powerful, loving God. Please open your minds and your hearts for a moment and think of a seed, even the grain of wheat spoken of in today’s gospel. Before I continue, today’s gospel is John 12:24-26 (The Coming of Jesus’ Hour). Yes these three simple verses share with us, an insight into the hour our Lord must die for us. We don’t plant seeds so that they remain buried as seeds; we plant seeds, so that through their “sacrifice” they grow into plants that multiple many more seeds than just the one that was planted. The key here is the sacrifice. We to, are like the seed; we must offer our own lives as a sacrifice to our Lord.

When we offer our lives as a sacrifice, a living sacrifice; we don’t simple, go to Mass when we can, toss a couple dollars in the plate as it comes around; and on occasion help someone in need. A true living sacrifice surrenders all selfishness to the service of God. I hope this is making sense. I also hope this doesn’t discourage anyone from serving our Lord. This service gives us Joy, a Joy that cannot be so easily explained in words. A Joy that only Jesus can instill in the hearts and minds and soul of those who follow Him. Let’s just ponder a few minutes, reading today’s gospel: John 12:24-26

Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If any one serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be also; if any one serves me, the Father will honor him.”

God alone knows our purpose in this life; but our purpose and our point remains “alone” and we never get to share it with others, until we die to self. We will lose everything if all we live for is ourselves, and we selfishly hold onto everything in this life. Selfishness rewards us with… nothing!!! Jesus says in today’s gospel “he who hates his life”. We know God doesn’t want us to “hate” our lives; He’s always telling us to rejoice. My own studies and spiritual life has led me to believe and understand that he only wishes us to hate that it is keeping us from Him; in other words, we prefer this life less, that’s all. And by thinking that way in this life, we place our desires and needs aside and we put His purpose and will first in our lives. This not only honors our Lord, but we get the chance to taste Heaven with the Joy that will fill our hearts by doing this. The Joy I am always speaking about. I pray that this is all making sense. Ask God to guide your heart to Himself, tell Him that you will not allow anything or anyone to come between you and Him. Surrender today and forever and for all eternity you will remain on the ready for His service. Trust in Him with all your heart, and know that you are surrounded by many sisters and brothers who love God just the same. You are not alone.

Jesus, I trust in You.”


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr. SFO

Today we pray the Glorious Mysteries

1. The Resurrection
2. The Ascension
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit
4. The Assumption
5. The Coronation