Monday, May 7, 2012

Who Is Our Advocate?

BEADS OF JOY 5-07-12 “Who Is Our Advocate?”
©2012 James Dacey, Jr. OFS


Today’s Gospel is:  (John 14:21-26 ~ The Advocate)
He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?" Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me does not keep my words; and the word which you hear is not mine but the Fathers who sent me. "These things I have spoken to you, while I am still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you...”
1 – Our Father -10 Hail Mary’s –Glory be… - Oh My Jesus…

Reflection: My Friends,
Do you sometimes wonder who it is, that is our Advocate? Who is it that speaks on our behalf, in our defense, and is also a counselor to us and a true intercessor? Yes, many who like me who love Our Blessed Mother, say she is our Advocate. I would say yes, a thousand percent and then some, but in today’s gospel, someone else is being referred to as our Advocate. It was in Jesus’ name that the Holy Spirit was sent down to us, to teach us, to guide us, and to lead us to Him. How many times do we hear, and do we say, “Let us let the Spirit lead our hearts, or the topic, or the direction of this ministry.” It’s the Holy Spirit that we are talking about.
Advocate as a verb (advocated, advocating) the meaning is as follows: to speak or write in favor of; or urge by argument recommend publicly.
Advocate as a noun (used as an object) has three definitions of explanation: 1. A person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. (usually followed by of): An Advocate of Peace. 2. A person who pleads for or in behalf of another; intercessor. (much like our Blessed Mother does). 3. A person who pleads the cause of another in a court of law.
To me it’s always important that the definitions of some words be very clear in their meaning. It helps for a more pure and direct way to understand scripture and what we are reflecting upon. It is the Spirit of God that truly helps us understand the love of God; it is the Holy Spirit that also draws us closer to Jesus; and by the Holy Spirit our Spirit knows when another also loves God the way we do. How true is that? How is it that we just know people, even people we don’t know? Simply the Spirit within us recognized the same Spirit, the Holy Spirit within another, sometimes almost immediately. By allowing God’s Will to reign supreme in our lives, we are allowing the Holy Spirit within us; that is God’s Spirit to lead us in the direction His Will has for our lives. Does that make sense? It is the Spirit within us, every one of us; that we are able to experience God’s love and His presence in ways that probably the typical person not Spirit led would ever understand.  
Today’s Challenge: Invite the Holy Spirit of God to inflame your heart; with God’s Love and God’s Word giving your life a whole new burst of excitement to live by. There won’t ever be enough time even in an eternity of eternities to fully love Him back, but you’ll spend eternity doing just as it says in Matthew 22:37 “ Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’”
“Jesus, I Trust in You.”
Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS