Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sell All You Have

BEADS OF JOY 10-14-12 

“Sell All You Have”
©2012 James Dacey, Jr. OFS





My Friends,
Today’s gospel can be looked upon as a very hard teaching indeed; but instead let us rather see it as a wakeup call. Many of us have possessions that we cherish, enjoy, and love to share with others; but with that said, we must realize that some of us may have possessions that we worship and cherish beyond what we may ever admit to. Today we find Jesus speaking to a man, who seems to be a man of wealth and possessions. Let us look at Mark 10:17-30 (Treasure In Heaven). While having nice things isn’t a bad thing; and while having much treasure in wealth is also not a bad thing, let us not lose sight of God who has blessed you with these things. Many people live this life thinking, “Look at what I have done, how wonderful and how smart I am.” That will be the beginning of a very bad direction for our thoughts to go. We must be in the right mindset with what this life is truly all about.
Let us consider thinking like this, here is a story to explain it: One day a man, happen to come upon a place where he saw God. He thought, "Wow, I see God." Well the man came over to God and God and turned and looked at the man and said, “I have been waiting for you.” This startled the man, but he gained his composure and asked, “Me? Why are you waiting for me?” God then said to the man, “To ask you for a few things.” This was something the man did not understand, but since he did believe in God, he was open to the thought of listening and learning about what God wanted to speak to him about. To begin with God said to the man, “I see you are living a comfortable life.” The man responded, “Yes, I have a good job, a healthy family and future that looks very promising.” God said, “I will ask for a few things before you leave me.” The man immediately said, “Yes Lord, what can I do for you.”

God said, “I want your home.” The man said, “Ok, you can have it.”
God said, “Do you have a wallet? I want that to.” The man reluctantly said, “Ok?”
God said, “I see you have a car, I want that.” The man said, “What? OK??”
God said, “Ah, a Most Blessed family.” The man jumped up and said, “What?? You want them to??” God responded immediately, “Yes I want them to!”
The man was shocked he sat back and said, “Lord you have taken everything that I have, everything that I own, everything that I possess, everyone that I love, leaving me with nothing??” God got real close to the man, put His arm around the man’s shoulder and pulled him in, whispering in his ear. “Take all these things I have asked from you, handle them with great care and respect them and continue to use them honoring me. Remember that all these things are mine first and always shall be, but I shall entrust them to you.” The man was now smiling ear to ear knowing that he had not lost one thing, he didn’t have to lose anything in order to love and worship God. This man did learn a great deal about what all these treasures in his life now meant to him.
God offers to each of us treasure, treasure beyond what the world could or would ever consider treasure. These blessings are priceless and these blessings are from Him, let us live a life free from pride and selfishness in these treasures, instead let us live our lives possessing them for His glory, honoring Him with them; knowing that they are and have always been His first. The treasures we must seek in this life should be the treasures that are from God alone. Never let anything in this life come between you and Him. This will be a most blessed legacy to pass onto your children and grandchildren; many generations will be blessed by the choices you make.

Jesus, I Trust in You.”

Your Brother in Christ Jesus
and His Most Precious Mother Mary,
Jimmy (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS