Sunday, February 7, 2010

But At Your Word I Will

Beads of Joy 02-07-10

But At Your Word I Will
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Isn't it just so spectacular how Jesus chooses ordinary people to do some the most extraordinary things. Just think about that, the Creator of the whole universe is here for us awaiting and listening to our prayers. Today's reading is just so exciting; just think how the disciples who fished for a living felt, when Jesus a carpenter directed them by His word where to make a catch, and what a catch it was. The gospel we are reflecting on today is Luke 5:1-11 (The Call of Simon the Fisherman). This particular reading tells us that God expects truly amazing things from us, even when we may think it's not at all possible. We must trust in the direction He is sending us.

This is so exciting, just look at these verses, "And when he had ceased speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." And Simon answered, "Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets." And when they had done this, they enclosed a great shoal of fish; and as their nets were breaking, they beckoned to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink." Luke 5:4-7 I would say the obvious, this was a miracle not only for the fact that the catch was so great after such a long night of catching nothing; but that it was probably one of the biggest catches ever for them. When Jesus brings miracles to us they are always magnificent.

When we meet disappointment and failure in what we do, do we lean on Jesus to help us through. And when we do lean on Him, do we trust in the direction He leads us; even if we feel that particular direction isn't going to work because we already tried it. Jesus is the answer to all our needs, even in times of trials and failure, we must know that God is in our midst. My life has not been perfect, I have so many stories of failure and success. But what I have learned through all these years is that my faith needs to be the strongest when I am emotionally weak and distraught. I have to find that faith deep inside me and trust that leaning on Jesus to support me will get me through it. The greatest thing is, that it always does.

Today let us think, do we share our Lord with others around us? Do we have such a real relationship with Him that we want others to know how truly incredible we feel because we are able to have Him in our lives. I am sure many of us especially me, feel the same way Simon Peter did, "But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." v.8. But in that, we must not take our eyes off of Him, we must listen to His words even when we don't think it will be what we want. Here's one final scripture to reflect upon, "Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory." 2 Timothy 2:10 Praise Jesus in all He does for us according to His will.

Let us trust in Him, even we think He can't possibly help us.


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO