Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Our Daily Walk - Sorrowful 2/5

Beads of Joy 10-18-11

Our Daily Walk - Sorrowful 2/5
2011 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Sorrowful Walk - 2/5

Hello Everyone,

For those of us who walk that hard narrow path of faith, we have been at this mystery many times. Today let us reflect upon the second Sorrowful Mystery - The Scourging at The Pillar. And if it's anything like the way it was portrayed in the movie The Passion, then you indeed are a saint. How many of us have been rejected, hated, and know that someone out there wants us destroyed? We are very fortunate in this lifetime and in our country, at least as of now; of having no fear that we are targets per say for others looking to kill us. Our freedoms protect our choices and desires to be followers of Christ. But what must it have been like to have others wanting to be so cruel to you (Jesus), that until you have been crucified they were not satisfied? Our Lord endured a tremendous amount of hatred, especially as we ponder through the sorrowful mysteries. I know at times, I do get some of the most hateful, mean looks from people when I openly admit and share my love for my Lord. And oh my, how much more hatred and anger I ensue when I say that I adore our Blessed Mother. Who would have ever thought this could be like this 27 years ago (when I gave my heart to my Lord)?

To the best of our knowledge and at least in scripture, it appears that our Blessed Mother wasn't at the scourging. We can't prove that indeed she wasn't, but what if she was? Maybe Mel Gibson's rendition of her presence in the movie The Passion was true. Or maybe it's a half truth and maybe she was there for part of it, or at the end of it. I can't imagine what it would have been like to witness the beating torture of your own son. Maybe indeed she was shielded from witnessing such a horrible act of hatred. But then on the flip side, maybe it was her witness that has made her such a stronger, more vibrant part of her Son's glory. The fact is that we really don't know. But what we do know is that this cruelty leads up to a violent, cruel death upon a cross. Can we be strong enough in our faith that we are willing to sacrifice our ego and our reputation, and because of our faith, and even be labeled a "Jesus Freak"? I hope you have said yes. I can't help but reiterate over and over again in my blog, keep Jesus first in your lives. Above, beyond and before anyone else.

I invite all of you to delight, rejoice and celebrate in your own misery if indeed you are a frequent target. Cruelty isn't always a bloodshed event. Sometimes cruelty is someones self esteem being shattered, or being treated with a mean spirit by someone else, or even just being shut out by those we love. Cruelty cuts to the heart and touches our nerves first. How tough is your outer skin? Can it with stand an earthquake of violence shifted your way? Many will admit, no. I believe we must really dig down deep and find that safe strong place within us, and encourage ourselves to continue no matter what is being said or how we are being treated. I know I always say I would die for my Lord. But of cause that would need to be tested to see where my heart really is. I know I am not influenced by worldly thinking or hatred towards my faith. If people hate me or so desire to be against me, so be it. No offense to them, but quit honestly I don't really care that they don't like me. They apparently have issues, not me.

When we look upon the Scourging what do we see? Do we see Roman soldiers under the authority of Pilate; who was blackmailed by the Jewish leaders to kill Jesus? or do we see a man well deserving of His torture? Or instead on an out of the box thought; do we see a man being beaten almost to death for the sins that you and I have committed in offense to Him? Pilate had no courage for the right things. He was mean and he has even been called ruthless. And he knew in his heart that Jesus was innocent and undeserving of crucifixion, and he did nothing to defend Him. Yet in his weakness and lack of a strong backbone for what was good, he had Jesus crucified to protect his own reputation and his job. A political move of sorts, kind of what we see in our own government at times. Sad how some people protect themselves first before they protect the very people they were chosen to represent. Pilate's move of political correctness cost him his reputation for all eternity. His family and his name are forever remembered as, "For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried." from the Nicene Creed.


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Sorrowful Mysteries

1. Agony in the Garden
2. The Scourging at the Pillar
3. Crowing with Thorns
4. Carrying of the Cross
5. The Crucifixion of Jesus