Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Take Courage - Do Not Be Afraid

Beads of Joy 11-18-09
Take Courage – Do Not Be Afraid
©2009 James Dacey, Jr. SFO
Hello Everybody,

Another fantastic gospel to meditate upon. Today our Lord is seen on the water by the disciples, Matthew 14:22-33 (Jesus Walks on the Water). This gospel has me wondering does Jesus seem far away from me when I go through challenges in my life. And when I am going through those challenges do I turn away from our Lord and focus on my failures; or instead do I look toward Him wanting only Him to be with me so I can get through?

The one thing this gospel also teaches us is that no matter how prepared we feel we are, or how ready we may think we are, the challenges we face will sometimes take us by surprise. Look at the disciples they were experienced fishermen who spent a great majority of their time in their boats on the water. Yet when the wind and the waves tossed their boat, they were terrified for their lives.

This gospel is enlightening from many aspects of how we personally see Jesus in our lives. For starters here are a few things I am thinking after I read this gospel a few times. Do I only look for Jesus when I am in need of help through a challenge? Do I doubt His assistance and question Him when He enters into my life? Do I really rely on Jesus to be their when I am being tossed by the challenges that come into my life?

Another thing Peter teaches us here is once Jesus begins to direct and guide our lives; we must not take our eyes off Him, no matter how frightening it may get for us through our trials. Jesus assures Peter by stretching out His hand to save Peter in his doubt. We need (and I agree it’s not always easy) to stay focused on our Lord, not only through the toughest of times, but also in the best of times. Let us pray to the Holy Spirit and ask for direction and wisdom to have the strength to stay focused when it really counts.

Take Courage – Jesus is always there for us.
Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr, SFO