Saturday, March 27, 2010

Love Shared is Love Gained

Beads of Joy 03-27-10

Love Shared is Love Gained
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Lent 2010 - Day 39
Hello Everyone,

Today I am putting a little different twist on the blog. I have future plans for a series like this, but last night while driving for whatever reason; I was thinking about my grandparents. So today I'd like to touch on the love they shared, the knowledge I gained and where so much of who I am is from them. Just to let you know, this is my mother's mom and dad. My grandma passed away many many years ago, it crushed me, I loved her so much. All the cousins asked me to do the eulogy, omg, I cried and cried, that was so hard to do. And my grandpa, you all know him, his photo's are in my album, we see him often. These two people played such a dynamic role in my life, I don't know if they did all they did consciously; or it was just in there genes to be the way they were. One big thing I have learned is never think your role as a parent, or a grandparent or a friend or a sibling or whatever is not important, cause it is. And I think the greatest wisdom I gained is that "knowing" that you know its important allows you to "do it right" for everyone. You know what I mean. If your head is screwed on straight and you know your words will hurt or help, you'll always do the right thing. I miss my grandma.

Well let me welcome everyone into my world again. It's not all that crowded, open all the doors, there's room. OK. I'll speak up so everybody can hear me. LOL, I'm crazy I know. Let me tell you, I grew up in the school of ole ways. Family was everything, literally. Every single weekend growing up, if we weren't camping or traveling, we were at my grandparents house, my cousins, my aunt and uncles, you name it, we spent major time together growing up. I so miss them days, and all those wonderful people. Well My mom's parents house was common place for me. Gramps use to take me fishing and we'd go on the ham radio, and me and grams use to chat and chat and chat and cook and she was the best. She introduced me to Our Lady when I was so young (my eyes are filling with tears as I type). She knew, she just knew that I needed our Blessed Mother and Her Son in my life. She planted a most precious seed in my heart, one that would grow for eternity. Please all the grandma's and grandpa's out there. PLEASE share our Lady with all your young grand kids. And do it in a private super special way, one that would be engraved in their hearts for future reference and future wonderful memories. Omg I feel like crying, grandma always told me how special Our Lady was to her. I think of that so often.

My grandma use to have a HUGE Blessed Mother statue on her dresser, there was always prayer cards and rosaries and I remember even dried out roses. I just so remember her that statue. She would always touch it as she walked by it. In detail I remember one of the earliest conversations, I have shared this before. She and I were in the living room, she called me over to her, she was holding her rosary beads. She huddled me next to her, she was such a special loving grandma. I miss her so much. I wish my kids knew her. Back to the story. She brought me close to her, and asked me, "Do you know who the two most special women in my life are?" I don't remember answering, but I remember just looking her in the eyes. She said, "my kid sister Helen, and our Blessed Mother." I didn't know what to say. She then showed me her rosary beads, she told she always prayed her rosary and talked to our Lady. I remember enough at the time, that I honestly didn't know exactly what she meant. I was an altar boy back then, but we weren't at that time a really religious family. But grandma knew to plant the seeds. At her funeral I noticed she wasn't holding her rosary beads. I cried so much, I put mine in her hands. I remember saying, "she has to have her rosary beads when she sees our lady." Please grandma's we need more grandma's like mine out there. LOL. That part of her is so engraved in who I am. She loved our Lady so much, like I do. It's incredible.

Now let me tell you about my Grandpa. He is so cool, I love this guy. In the navy he was a boxer, so he was tough, but incredibly loving. He worked for over 40 years at P&G as a welder. I am so proud of him. He is super smart to this day when it comes to any kind of math. He even challenges my Charlie, his great grandson, it's so cute. And growing up everyone of us grand kids knew our multiplication and division by heart, if we didn't know it when asked, we had us write it out ten times while we were visiting.. I know, omg. But I got to tell you, when us cousins talk about the ole days and we look back and see that as a fond memory, really we do. Grandpa wanted all of us to be good in math, he always said, we need to know it in everything we do, because math is at work and at home in everything. He is right, just think about it. I miss the days I use to spend time with him. We use to go fishing ALOT ! Grandpa use to take me out for breakfast before we went fishing at three in the morning, and we'd talk about what we were going to do, and school and that I would be going to college..right. LOL. He'd tell me all the rules so I wouldn't get hurt or lost in the dark by the beach. Once we got to the beach, he'd help me with the "waiters" that's the long boots/pants you wear so we can walk far into the water and fish, they were so cool, he always had a pair my size.

My goal here today is that you are thinking of your own wonderful memories, or the wonderful memories you'd like to give your grand kids. Sometimes just sharing ones own love for their own family, allows others to gain from it, as well as I do. Please take this message, capture it in your heart, and share it's core (LOVE) with everybody. Engrave your love for them into their hearts. It'll last for eternity, I promise you it will.

Our Life's Challenge: To be that loving parent, grandparent, sister, brother, friend. And always be that person to everybody.


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO