Saturday, January 30, 2010

Even Wind and Sea Obey

Beads of Joy 01-30-10

Even Wind and Sea Obey
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

What an absolutely memorable day this must have been for the disciples. With the power of His word, "the wind ceased and there was great calm." V.39. Today we are reading Mark 4:35-41 (The Calming of the Storm). What I found in today's study was an obvious contrast between "the sleeping Prophet - Jesus" and "the fleeing Prophet - Jonah". It has been noted in my research that the disciples saying "Lord, Lord, save us" awoke Jesus at their cry and need and want to be saved; reflects our cry for Jesus when we are in the storms of life. In direct response to their cry Jesus came and rescued them with just His words.

That is so powerful, but so true to the actual simplicity of our faith. It really is that simple, we speak His name, and He responded to us with His word, and we are saved. Obviously it's a bit more than that, but that is indeed one of the key components to the core of our faith. We turn to Him, He turns to us, He gives us Himself, His word, and the Holy Spirit, nothing else is needed to create "the calm" we need in our lives. What was really interesting in this research was the interpretation of the sea and the wind. In scripture the sea is seen as a symbol of the restlessness of this sinful world we live in. I have come across a couple of scriptures that help in that reflection on how the sea is indeed represented in scripture as a place where sin and restlessness symbolically occur. Jonah was trying to escape God's will for him, and with Jesus the disciples faith was being tested. Those scriptures are: Daniel 7:2 and Isaiah 57:20

I will be the first to admit I am not a sea worthy person. LOL. In fact I am the exact opposite, I am a land-lover not wanting my feet off the solid ground, I'm not even comfortable in an airplane. I was on a flight about two months after 9-11, going to St Louis, MO and with all that went on during that time I admit I was scared to death. LOL. See my cousin Michael D'Esposito was in the first tower that went down, that was very sad. Sorry if I got side tracked, I'm not being wimpish with the height thing or the sea thing.. LOL. What I am saying is that I can only imagine the fear the disciples must have felt when the fury of a storm hit them; scripture says, "A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat, so that is was filling up." v.37. Can you imagine, a boat full of people, filling with water in a violent storm. It must have been so hard even with such faith; that is why the disciples cried out to Him to save them.

In this world as sinners, we are rocked by the winds and sea of our sins and passions that engulf us up at times. Like the disciples we cry, "Lord, save me." And immediately (figuratively speaking) with His word, He saves us. I know it don't always seem like He immediately saves us, we must trust in Him. Sometimes our Lord has a special plan for us, and the timing isn't what we think it to be. We must trust that in all good things, there is a time. Sometimes we need to have other experiences in our lives, in order for us to be prepared for the wonderful plans He has for us. Always trust in Him and stay loyal to Him, He will always be there for you. Always keep your spiritual eyes open, and you will see things you've never seen before. You will be amazed and filled with so much joy.

All things in this world are subject to obeying God's word.


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO