Saturday, March 26, 2011

Prodigal - Loved and Forgiven

Beads of Joy 03-26-11

Prodigal - Loved and Forgiven
©2011 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

"How am l supposed to show love to somebody over and over and over..who constantly rejects me?" Caleb in the movie "Fireproof" That line in that movie, fit in perfectly with today's gospel. Let us not take for granted the love that our parents and family have for us. This parable goes beyond the sentences of a story; we can see how God's love for us goes far beyond anything stupid we might do. I'm not saying be rude, unholy and hateful, and "poof" God puts rings and robes on you; but I am saying that after you do that, and you repent, God's arms are wide open. In this parable this young man, abandoned his family, seeking pleasure and freedom, so he thought. The reality for him was that he became a prison of his own selfishness; separated from the love of his family by his choice, only to literally be eating with the pigs. The reality hit this young man and he woke up.

Was this prodigal son, homesick, or sick of home? One may never know, but many do know teenagers and young adults, who think they know everything, and from that, they start to be bold in their own immaturity. Adulthood and maturity have nothing to do with age, rather it comes from experience, wisdom, love and the nurturing of a loving family. A family that can't be replaced by stuff or others. This prodigal son, had only one real dad, and one real family. No riches or travels or wild life was going to replace, that place in his heart that is his family resided in. I have done many stupid things in my life, I will be the first to admit it. I won't get into all the grueling details, because I don't want to promote them. Rather I will say this, your wake up call in life does come, when you are at your lowest point; and usually it's when your flesh and blood family aren't anywhere nearby, because you don't want them nearby. Prodigal son or daughter, I say, go home, there are open arms, rings, robes and a fatted calf awaiting you. Nobody can love you, like your family does.

I pray that whoever is on this path of separation from their family, or they are thinking about it. Stop. And consider this parable in and of itself, as a chance for you to realize how much love is in the arms of those who love you, especially your mom and dad. Think of it like this, I read it said that in our repentant hearts of "coming home" back to the Father, God "kisses the past into forgetfulness." In this parable, the union back with his father was beyond anything he could have possibly expected. The son merely thought, he could blend in with his fathers servants so he can at least eat better. But the love of his father far exceeded anything he could have possibly imagined. There is so much jam packed in today's parable, I think I can write a book about it. I just might.

Today's Gospel: Luke 15:1-3, 11-32

(The Parable of the Prodigal Son)
"Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes murmured, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them." So he told them this parable. And he said, "There was a man who had two sons; and the younger of them said to his father, `Father, give me the share of property that falls to me.' And he divided his living between them. Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took his journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in loose living. And when he had spent everything, a great famine arose in that country, and he began to be in want. So he went and joined himself to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would gladly have fed on the pods that the swine ate; and no one gave him anything. But when he came to himself he said, `How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants."' And he arose and came to his father. But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, `Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants,`Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet; and bring the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and make merry; for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to make merry."Now his elder son was in the field; and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. And he called one of the servants and asked what this meant. And he said to him, `Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has received him safe and sound.' But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, but he answered his father, `Lo, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command; yet you never gave me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends. But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your living with harlots, you killed for him the fatted calf!' And he said to him, `Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. It was fitting to make merry and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.'"

Questions To Ponder Today:
-Have you ever felt like leaving the way this son left?
-How would you feel is your child did this to you?
-The sons repentant heart was touching...why?
-Can we love our children like this father did?
-Did this story personal move you in your heart?
(Today, tell all your children how much you love them.)
If you have no children, tell your parents, grandparents.
Express love today in words, eye to eye.



Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Joyful Mysteries

1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Birth of Jesus
4. The Presentation in The Temple
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple