Saturday, August 13, 2016

Blessing of The Children

BEADS OF JOY 08-13-16
“Blessing of The Children”
©2016 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


 Today’s Gospel: Matt 19:13-15 (Blessing of The Children)
“Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people; but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven." And he laid his hands on them and went away.”

Reflection:

Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Opps, you know I stole that from a song. But it is 100% true, to God everyone is important. The disciples may have seen the children as noisy and fidgety at times; but Jesus didn’t see them that way, all he wanted to do was be with them. How do you feel about children? Are they are problem to you? A nuisance you can do without? An issue you’d rather not discuss? You don’t have to say anything, so I will tell you how I feel about kids instead…

I love kids! I just wish we had more than 5 children of our own, I wish we had 8 or 10. I didn’t come from a big family, I only had 2 sisters but my overall extended family was huge. And that gave me a GREAT desire to have a big family one day. My dad is one of 8 and my mom is one of 3. Whenever we had family gatherings there were countless family members everywhere, cousins and aunts and uncles and WOW I loved it!! I still remember the sound of the rumbling laughter and chatter of us when we were all together. Great memories of the past. And growing up visiting family was one of our normal weekly family activities. Oh how I miss those days. Now everyone lives all over the country and so many them have gone to be with Jesus. Those were the days my friends, we thought they’d never end. Opps drifted off into song again... LOL Here is a picture of our 5 kids many years ago. I love this picture of them together.




Back then there were no cell phones, no iPads, no one cared about what was on TV, we didn’t even have cable. Clothes and sneakers weren’t an issue. Our greatest joy was being together. I can still remember my cousin Larry getting all the cousins on the steps in front of Grandma’s house and he’d play games with us. Sometimes guessing games and we’d talk and take walks. Play catch. Larry would take us for rides in his 1968 Chevy Chevelle Convertible which later became my dad’s which we restored. So many incredible memories. Memories of us cousins as “kids” who simply loved to be together and have fun together. Back in the 60’s – 80’s it was a much different world than it is today. Today, well I guess it all depends on where you live, but today the kids tend to be more lost in technology. They are not lost in the family relationships and gatherings. They have no idea what they are missing out on. I try to instill that to my children. The value of family relationships is priceless.



LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Your brother in Christ Jesus
 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS