Saturday, August 27, 2016

Parable of The Talents

BEADS OF JOY 08-27-16
“Parable of The Talents”
©2016 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


Today’s Gospel: Matthew 25:14-30 (Parable of The Talents)
“For it will be as when a man going on a journey called his servants and entrusted to them his property; to one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them; and he made five talents more. So also, he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, `Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.' His master said to him, `Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much; enter into the joy of your master.' And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, `Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.' His master said to him, `Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much; enter into the joy of your master.'

He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, `Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not winnow; so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' But his master answered him, `You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sowed, and gather where I have not winnowed? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has the ten talents. For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.'”

Reflection:
To the poor this parable could mean that you can share all the joy you gain; by the abundance you obtain as you use the talents God has given you. To the wealthy sadly to some this may mean you must begin to share and spread your wealth so that it may multiple. You can see by the parable that God never intended for the wealth of even money to be buried and hidden. I know Jesus said, “Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest.” This is a parable, a story told to us by Jesus. The money was an invest rendering interest. God knows money is best invested in people and family. Let us not forget the greatest commandment: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and the second is like it; love your neighbor as yourself. God first. Others second. Self-last. How might you interpret this parable?

There is a most important lesson taught here no doubt. Our gifts must help us advance towards Jesus and we grow or we lose everything. No one gets to stand idle and use any excuse for doing nothing and expecting everything in return. God has given each of us something to share, something to give, something to help others with. It is our job in this life to find that talent, that gift and share it and use it and spread the joy for our entire life. If you have been blessed with “interest” share it, spread it and let that blessing be a blessing to others.

We must remember that everything is Almighty God’s first. Anything we have is on loan to us for our time here. We have no choice when we die, we HAVE to surrender it, our voice is silenced. A corpse can’t speak. A Will can only do so much, especially when there are greedy crooked family members surrounding a stingy miser, waiting for you to die. I have seen it. I have heard first hand in families who tell stories of that one family member who hoarded everything and wouldn’t care for no one. They tie everything up in a legal battle and had the lawyers drain away the money. The family was thrilled the dead family members wishes couldn’t come through, no more money. Being selfish isn’t good for anyone, even after your dead. Open your heart now to Jesus and share your talents, your gifts, your interest. Be the Scourge at the end of the movie, not the beginning… Compassion and love go a long way when you are still alive... See you guys tomorrow.



LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Your brother in Christ Jesus 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS