Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Do You Not See

BEADS OF JOY 02-07-18
“Do You Not See”
©2018 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


Today’s Gospel: Mark 7:14-23 (Tradition of The Elders)
“And he called the people to him again, and said to them, "Hear me, all of you, and understand: there is nothing outside a man which by going into him can defile him; but the things which come out of a man are what defile him." And when he had entered the house, and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, "Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a man from outside cannot defile him, since it enters, not his heart but his stomach, and so passes on?" (Thus, he declared all foods clean.) And he said, "What comes out of a man is what defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, fornication, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, licentiousness, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a man."

Reflection:
You see where it says “Thus, he declared all foods clean.” I apologize, but all that makes me think about is food. Here I am praying so hard to focus on what to write about and food is what enters my mind; well I guess it’s better than entering my stomach. But, if food is the topic, let’s look at it from a family perspective. How many of you love to cook? I know I do. Some say I can’t cook, but I guess you would have to live with me to know I can, or simply ask my kids, or look at me. LOL. I do not go hungry, I cook, and I eat very well. LOL.

As an Italian (83% that is...lol) we cook, and we eat all the time. We eat when someone is born, we eat when someone dies, we eat for a baptism, communion, confirmation; ok to save time, we eat for every single occasion. So, growing up, no matter what Grandparents, Aunt and Uncles, or Cousins house we went to, there was enough food to feed thousands. So, we ate and ate and ate. In the end I got to eat so many kinds of Italian foods and I found a favorite. I enjoyed lasagna the most. Grandma Dacey and Grandpa DePete and my Mom all had their versions of lasagna and yes, they were all very good. But, I wanted my own.

Food brings everyone together. Food is exciting and fun as a family sits around the kitchen table or stands around the stove or the counter. Our family always enjoyed making so many different wonderful dishes together. Chrissy was a baker (I can’t bake), oh, but I can eat baked foods, I just never had the knack for baking, I wish I did. Anyway, Chrissy and the kids use to make cookies and cakes and pies together all the time. Food was the center of so many fun family memories. I hope you have memories like that.

This is me showing you a real single serving piece of Lasagna.

This is all 7 of us as eating together, just before our prayers.
That's Lasagna and Baked Ziti.

Pondering these thoughts today:
What’s the take away here today. Sorry, there is no take out here today. So, what did we learn? We learned Italians cook and eat a lot. No!? Hopefully we all have fantastic memories of the past and the present, and we will all be making future memories with everyone that involve cooking and eating. I can seriously remember people in my life that seem to involve food in some way, either helping them cook, or sharing a recipe or taste testing or something where we were smiling and laughing, with food in front of us. I hope you to have such wonderful memories.


LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Your brother in Christ Jesus 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS

Today is Wednesday: We pray the Glorious Mysteries:

The Glorious Mysteries

1. The Resurrection (Faith) –Mark 16:1-8
2. The Ascension (Hope) –Luke 24:50-53
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit (Love) –Acts 2:1-4
4. Assumption of Our Lady (A Happy Death) –Rev 12:1-6
5. Coronation of Mary (Mary’s intercession) –Judith 15:9-10

Glory and Honor and Praise to You Lord Jesus Christ!