Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Sign of Jonah

BEADS OF JOY 02-21-18
“The Sign of Jonah”
©2018 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


Today’s Gospel: Luke 11:29-32 (Demand For a Sign)
“When the crowds were increasing, he began to say, "This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of Jonah. For as Jonah became a sign to the men of Nineveh, so will the Son of man be to this generation. The queen of the South will arise at the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them; for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. The men of Nineveh will arise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.”

Reflection:
Today’s title has me thinking about how much Chrissy’s doctors were always looking for a sign of her healing, or sign that things took a turn for the worst. Test results always threw me in panic mode till I was sure. Christine had this blessed peace about the entire waiting process. She knew from the start that according to the doctors that she wasn’t going to beat this. From my perspective, I’ll say this, when you are in the day to day life of someone struggling with a cancer that won’t stop; it keeps you awake at night praying and hoping for a change. Doctors may have a diagnoses and test results; but doctors do not know God’s Will.

I look back often now, more than I think I ever did before, if hardly ever; because some of those days and weeks seemed like months long and there was no time to look back. “Tomorrow” was our goal and our thought each and every day we were in. In-fact, that was part of how Chrissy and I planned our lives, her future. We planned our “tomorrows” together, hoping and praying that because we made these plans, Chrissy would be there. It gave us hope. If the calendar said we had plans tomorrow, well then, we will have plans together tomorrow. Sometimes it was just, “Going out for Ice Cream together.” Other dates on the calendar said, “Pajama Day, TCM Movies and Diner Lunch – Take-out”. She loved those days.

We did all we can to plan our tomorrows, and we did all we can to create our own sign. Looking back, I see that we did indeed create a sign. We made a sign of HOPE and LOVE that helped us forge forward each day with a smile and a hug and an “I’ll see you in the morning!” before we closed our eyes each night. The last few months were the hardest, now I see how that was the “sign”. Christine had internal bleeding that couldn’t be traced or found, even after numerous tests and exams. It got the point, two weeks before she passed away, with her eyes full of tears she said to me, “No more tests Jim, they hurt too much, I can’t do this anymore.” I just hugged her in my own tears and said, “No more tests Christine, no more tests.”

Pondering these thoughts today: Sometimes we get a clear and obvious sign. Other times it’s too cloudy or we can’t take the time to check. No matter what, we need to fully trust in Jesus fully and without question. Chrissy always lived a life fully accepting whatever God’s Will is, and it was OK with her. Period! I thought my faith was strong till I witnessed her solid foundation of faith that was inspiring. Remember when she went into the hospital for 22 days in 2010 and the doctors said, she will never come home. Chrissy was strong, and she knew it wasn’t her time yet, she came home. I miss Christine every day, I hope that by sharing her story, her faith, her legacy, maybe you can create your own.


LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Your brother in Christ Jesus 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS

Today is Wednesday: We pray the Glorious Mysteries:

The Glorious Mysteries

1. The Resurrection (Faith) –Mark 16:1-8
2. The Ascension (Hope) –Luke 24:50-53
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit (Love) –Acts 2:1-4
4. The Assumption of Our Lady (A Happy Death) –Rev 12:1-6
5. The Coronation of Mary (Mary’s intercession) –Judith 15:9-10

Glory and Honor and Praise to You Lord Jesus Christ!