Sunday, December 19, 2010

Do Not Be Afraid Joseph

Beads of Joy 12-19-10

Do Not Be Afraid Joseph
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Today is a most joyous, spectacular day for us to celebrate; the fourth Sunday of Advent. And what a beautiful gospel for us to reflect on this most beautiful day. Joseph you are certainly a man of honor, a man who listens to God's word and direction; you follow that which the Spirit leads. I am so proud to be a Roman Catholic, and I must say St. Joseph, foster father of Jesus, is certainly a huge inspiration in my faith. Today let us reflect upon Matthew 1:18-24 (How The Birth of Jesus Came About). Like Mary, Joseph was obedient to God's will in a most difficult situation. He had to do that which he would have maybe not done otherwise; but with his upbringing, he knew that God's plan was more important than his own, and so he followed through and fulfilled God's wishes. Simply trusting the promises of God; Mary did it, and now Joseph did it. What a most blessed family example of how when choices and events come and hit you square in the face; you do what is in God's will rather then pack-up and leave. See how Chrissy and I are able to take each hit and challenge, regardless of what is coming our way, we are doing our best to follow God's will. Our Lord must receive all the glory and all the praise; we must draw as many as we can to Him on our journey to Him.

Joseph loved Mary too much to allow her to be punished for what the Lord has given them to do in His will. Joseph knew the consequences of a woman being pregnant before she was married, I am sure he could not bear the thought of any harm coming to her. In the midst of the confusion over the situation and his contemplation of a quiet divorce, God's angel stepped right in and guided this Godly man. And praise Jesus, in the wisdom and openness of His ears and heart being open to God's will; Joseph listened, and heard the angels words and obeyed God's will for Mary and the child Jesus. What an absolute perfect example for all dads and husbands to follow. I am sure in many ways, thinking of my own self in Joseph's situation; I would rather be the one to be punished and even die then to see the woman I love suffer in anyway. Husbands and fathers I say this, look upon the example and response and reaction Joseph has taken in a most difficult situation. He didn't do anything rash or quick to response, instead he in his own way remained open, not closed to God in guidance through this.

As this Christmas season draws near, let us think about how in our own lives we can do our best to follow God's will more perfectly. I know personally know that knowing that we know it's God's will and not our own isn't always easy. I have a rather simple formula that I have learned through the years that might be helpful for all of us. I learned this from Father Larry Richards: (whenever I say I think of it as you) Is what I am doing drawing attention to me or to Jesus? Now think about this, are my words uplifting me, or do they uplift Jesus? Do my actions lead people to follow me? or to follow Jesus? If everything I do is for my own personal ego and financial gain outwardly or through an ulterior motive that I have, and all the attention is drawn to me, then by no means is this God's will. Rather all that I do must draw others to Him fully, when they me, they must see Jesus. Not that I am Jesus, please understand what I am saying. My (your) actions, your words, your intentions, should be a direct reflection of our Lord. So that when people see me (you), they see Jesus. It's a little in-depth to maybe fully understand, but know that the Spirit will lead you. We must honestly put our lives on cruise control and trust fully that our Lord will direct us, either through people, events or whatever He sees necessary to gain our allegiance to Him.

So today I leave you with this thought: In beginning to preparing your 2011 New Years resolutions, consider how you might live your life where all your efforts, all your words, all your everything help direct other to our Lord. And then when they reflect back on how it is they were directed to Him. They ponder only a memory that a woman or a man whose name they can't remember, who always spoke of and lived a life that they were drawn to that drew themselves to Jesus. Let us really try to be instruments for God, who's purpose is to love, honor and cherish our Lord, and in doing so we share Him with everybody we can. And let us pray for one another in that the Holy Spirit leads each of to God's will more perfectly in our lives.

"Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Glorious Mysteries

1. The Resurrection
2. The Ascension
3. The Descent of The Holy Spirit
4. The Assumption
5. The Coronation