Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Repent - Unwilling To Listen

BEADS OF JOY 12-18-12
“Repent – Unwilling To Listen”
©2012 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


As Christmas draws near there is so much to think about, so much to reflect upon. This week we are reflecting on how we might better prepare for Christmas; this week let us focus on how we might REPENT to prepare. Looking at what Mary and Joseph had to battle with and confront; they handled it very well. When the angel sent them a message from God, they obeyed His every command. They didn’t even hesitate; full trust in God’s wish and desire from them, is exactly what they did. But what if they didn’t listen, what if they had the attitude that many have today, “No one’s going to tell me what to do!” What if they were unwilling to listen? Let us thank God for their obedience and love towards God to obey His words.


Today’s gospel is found in Matthew 1:18-25 (The Birth of Jesus). Today’s reflection of thought is opposite of what Mary and Joseph did. Is there a time that we are unwilling to listen? Are there times when we think to ourselves, “No way, I ain’t listening to them”? Today let us think about those times, maybe it’s something you just did today; or maybe it’s with a certain person every time you are with them. Sometimes we really have to listen.


We really need to REPENT not just for the sin, but also for the disobedience of not listening. This week we will be focusing on real examination of our conscience.


Examination of Conscience

6 STEPS FOR A GOOD CONFESSION
  • Examine your conscience - what sins have you committed since your last good confession. When was your last good confession?
  • Be sincerely sorry for your sins. Sincerely, with the intent not to commit them again.
  • Confess your sins to the priest. Prepare yourself.
  • Make certain that you confess all your mortal sins and the number of them. Seriously search your heart for your actions.
  • After your confession, do the penance the priest gives to you. And keep yourself in check in your words and actions.
  • Pray daily for the strength to avoid the occasion of sin, especially for those sins you were just absolved from, and the ones you fall easily to.
ACT OF CONTRITION (Learn this prayer for your confession)
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all because they offend You, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life.  Amen.

Jesus, I Trust in You.”


Your Brother in Christ Jesus
and His Most Precious Mother Mary,
Jimmy (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS