Sunday, July 31, 2016

Parable of The Rich Fool

BEADS OF JOY 07-31-16
“Parable of The Rich Fool”
©2016 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


Today’s Gospel: Luke 12:13-21 (Parable of The Rich Fool)
“One of the multitude said to him, "Teacher, bid my brother divide the inheritance with me." But he said to him, "Man, who made me a judge or divider over you?" And he said to them, "Take heed, and beware of all covetousness; for a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." And he told them a parable, saying, "The land of a rich man brought forth plentifully; and he thought to himself, `What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?' And he said, `I will do this: I will pull down my barns, and build larger ones; and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; take your ease, eat, drink, be merry.' But God said to him, `Fool! This night your soul is required of you; and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

Reflection:
How arrogantly presumptive are we that we will live another ten or twenty years or even see tomorrow? No one knows how long we will live. How many times has it been said, “Oh my Gosh, he was so healthy I can believe he died like that” Or “Wow! That was sudden I was just speaking with her yesterday they seemed perfectly fine and now she is gone.” That’s how fast our lives can be taken, we need to live in the present and do all we can in the present while we are still here. When we set our sights selfishly into the future we tend to forget the needs of others currently in the present.

Our Lord has blessed each of us with gifts some of us are blinded by selfishness and can’t see these gifts, but all have them. Some might have the gift of compassion, others may possess the gift of empathy and love, while others maybe have the gift of being a real true friend. At the same time God has blessed some with the ability to help others. In today’s gospel this farmer was blessed with an abundance of crop (food). And what was his first thought?  “And he said, `I will do this: I will pull down my barns, and build larger ones; and there I will store all my grain and my goods.” Sadly, this man was fully focused on himself, when he had the greatest opportunity to feed orphans and the needy; instead of helping those in need all he wanted to do was keep it all for himself. How sad.

And here’s where the agony of this man’s life begins… Without knowledge of his life’s end and his only focus was his own self-centeredness; his life would end that very evening and none of these possessions of his own would be able to come with him. By choosing his own will and not God’s will; this man will enter into God’s presence with a burden of explanation as to why he could not find it in his heart to help others after God has blessed him so much. Selfishness is very destructive.

Jesus First. Others Second. Me Last. Simply way to live an abundant live full of God’s love and grace.

LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Come PRAY THE ROSARY with us every single day. https://www.facebook.com/RosaryManJim


Your brother in Christ Jesus 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS