Friday, February 4, 2011

Herod Had Guilt No Doubt

Beads of Joy 02-04-11

Herod Had Guilt No Doubt
©2011 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Today's gospel of John the Baptist's death is so sad. One may not have thought Herod would have done this to him, considering Herod not only feared him; but Herod also knew John was a righteous man. But then in the heat of Herod's many passions at a party, and the fear of bruising his own powerful ego. Led Herod did the unthinkable and he had John beheaded. Today we are reflecting on Mark 6:14-29 (The Death of John The Baptist). Do we have guilt that haunts us? Are we able to ask for forgiveness and move on with our lives, knowing that God will forgive us? Or do we have grudges and hidden sins that we try to hide? Herod no doubt couldn't get this horrific act of murder off his mind. See when Jesus became known to Herod, he was convinced that Jesus was John raised from the dead. How do we feel about past things we have done? Are we able to seriously ask for forgiveness and move on? Hopefully we don't have any secret sins we never asks forgiveness for, or sins maybe we still have hidden? Let us take a moment and reflect on Herod's choices, and take all of what happened from his own doing and try to understand it. If any of you have seen the movie "The King of Kings - (1961)" it will give you somewhat of an idea on "maybe" how Herod spoke to and about John. Herod said in the movie, "John is very great profit, he and I have talked much." So maybe that came out of a movie script and Herod never really said it; but then who really knows. Scripture does seem to show some respect from Herod towards John.

It is very possible Herod had John beheaded out of impulse, and after the alcohol wore off and the party noise was gone and the hang over came in, he realized what he had done. No I have no experience in any of that. I am a dry Italian cowboy. LOL. I don't drink, except for the water on the rocks and of cause my Mountain Dew. LOL. But you see when Herod was at that party at his palace, he was king of the show, looking for a young girl to dance for him, wiling to do anything for her if she did. I think if he knew in advance that she would ask for John's head on a platter, he wouldn't have done it. But it was all part of God's will, so I guess somehow it had to happen.

God gives grace to us, especially when we humble ourselves before Him in confession, admitting our wrong doings. We must pursue holiness in all we do. The Holy Spirit is here to help us and lead us along the way.

"Confession heals, confession justifies, confession grants pardon of sin. All hope consists in confession. In confession there is a chance for mercy. Believe it firmly. Do not doubt, do not hesitate, never despair of the mercy of God. Hope and have confidence in confession." ~St. Isidore of Seville

"Christians need to learn to forgive. How do we learn to forgive? By knowing that we too need to be forgiven."

~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Please Forgive Me Lord

I bow my head in shame, before you Lord
I only desire your love and mercy,
I look down with shame for hurting you
As I beg for your forgiveness, I am happy.

I shall do my best to stay pure at heart
Never to offend you again,
But I know in my frail human condition
I can't really ever escape sin.

"Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Joyful Mysteries

1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Birth of Jesus
4. The Presentation in The Temple
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple