Monday, February 21, 2011

Seek Him With Faith and Trust

Beads of Joy 02-21-11

Seek Him With Faith and Trust
©2011 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Another fantastic week has begun, and in today's reflection we see how Jesus heals a young boy. This is our Lord's very first miracle after He was seen by Peter, James and John at the Transfiguration. The connection is that God brought Heaven down to comfort His Son in the Transfiguration; and so Jesus was brought down to this distressed father to heal his son. I don't think that was too far a stretch to connect. This healing is very powerful, many people witnessed this, and many people knew this man and his son. Today's gospel is Mark 9:14-29 (Jesus Heals Possessed Boy). Let us see who was involved in this miraculous healing, the very distressed father, the young demonically possessed boy, Jesus, and a couple of disciples who couldn't heal the boy. That's a rather interesting group of people all together. But that list doesn't mean anything but the fact that there was going to be a blessing. How do I know that? Because Jesus is in their midst.

Kudos and a high five to this very distressed father, a true man of honor, one who's heart is for Jesus no doubt. Picture the scene: This dad sees Jesus, knows who He is, rushes over to Him on behalf of his son, most likely knelt or bowed down to Jesus (he did call him Teacher which means Rabbi), he asked for a healing for his son, but I'd say he may have been begging, knowing the disciples couldn't heal him, figuring maybe his son couldn't be healed. This man was brought humbly to his knees before a large crowd of people. An absolutely moving scene to have witnessed. This mans love for his son shines brightly in today's scripture. There was no medication back then for epilepsy, my grandma, my mother's mom had epilepsy. From when I was a little kid I'd see her have seizures, fall on the floor and lay there for a while. My grandpa, bless his soul, really loved grandma. As soon as he knew she was going into a seizure, he'd hold her tight, now my grandma was small; but when under an epileptic seizure she gained much strength, so holding her was a challenge even for my grandma who was a navy boxer. But he'd hold her and say, "Susan, Susan, look at me, relax, relax." Then he made sure she didn't swallow her tongue. Pretty dramatic scene, but normal to me seeing it all my life. So I can relate to some degree with what this dad had to content with.

Now I think of this poor young boy who is suffering with this condition which was apparently being caused by a demon. He had to be considered strange, weird, different, probably even called all sorts of names growing up, like lunatic, crazy. When people don't understand things and they seem shocked, we tend to consider it out of the norm and we don't accept it. Plus think about the way the other kids probably treated him, kids can be even crueler than adults. This child must have been living a lonely, sad life, breaking his heart day in and day out, probably with virtually any friends in his life. This would really affect a dad or mom seeing this everyday, further explaining the dads anguish of stress begging Jesus on his sons behalf for a healing. All of us can relate to these things, either being the one under going suffering from possibly an illness or we are closely related to one who suffers daily. This miracle scripture today shows us how God does intervene when we know we can't fix it, when we know our hopes seems to be shattered. This story tells us not to ever give up hope for a healing.

Today this father succeeded in his plea to Jesus to save his son. Let us never lose hope that we can't have the same healing. Be brave and bold like this father was. Let the love you have for another combine with the love you have for Jesus, and as soon as you possibly can, unite the two together. And pray and pray and pray, asking for God's mercy. And then trust and trust and trust, that in His time you will be healed and blessed in accord to His will. Pray this simple prayer if you need help in starting this quest of prayer and trust.

"My Lord Jesus, please help my unbelief. I know sometimes it seems like I have doubt in You Lord, but I don't. I think that's the human fear that is within me. My heart knows You, and my Spirit is alive inside me desiring to get closer to You. Also know my Lord, I place all my trust in You, You alone I give my full trust and allegiance to every single blessed day You allow me to walk the earth. Thank You for everything, I love You with all my heart Lord. Amen."

"Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Joyful Mysteries

1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Birth of Jesus
4. The Presentation in The Temple
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple