Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Minimize Your Possessions

Beads of Joy 02-16-11
Minimize Your Possessions

©2011 James Dacey, Jr. SFO


Hello Everyone,

This topic might be hard for many to understand, but I have written about these things before. This morning before my prayer time I had laid out the topic and scripture. Within moments of beginning to write, I was overcome by feelings and thoughts of this topic and the urgency we have to take to prepare our lives for Him. Let us minimize all we possess in possessions and maximize all we need to possess in our hearts and Spirit. I hope that made sense, Jesus must consume us and we must allow Him to. Way too many people, possess and own way too much stuff, literally piles of junk; and all that stuff, distracts and interferes with our time and ability to worship our Lord, and we worry about that stuff and some pay to store that stuff. The world is going through some scary changes right now, and this wave of change and disruption may come where we live. It's time to batten down the hatches and secure the most important and most critical of information for us to have to study and read, to meditate and learn from. All of the other things are and will be pointless. Even if the wave of changes don't directly affect us now, in the long run they might. The urgency here is in our focused time and energy to be all about Jesus. Jesus must absolutely be all that matters. Prayer time, adoration time, time in His word (read your bible everyday), fellowship, sharing Him with others. Here is a scripture that is bouncing around in my head.

"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Luke 18:22

This verse says it all, we need to really think about these words of wisdom spoken by our Lord, me, I prefer giving things away. Can we really know how all the distractions of all our things, many times prevents us, from following after Jesus? Think of it this way: If we were asked to put all of our possessions, collections, collectibles which are the things we personally possess and value and label as our own; what size trailer or van or how many boxes would you need? I personally know many who could fill a moving van. Please note that I'm not talking about your furniture or your household items, only the items you say are personal things that are yours. How about setting out a goal, of minimal attachment to virtually nothing (yes, nothing), except: Your Rosary, Bible, Commentary, couple devotional books, laptop (for fellowship), and that's it, obvious some clothes, etc. My goal is this: Keep and possess only what I can carry all at one, at the same time. All else you either sell and donate your proceeds to those struggling; or you can really be kind and just give them away all those possessions to those you know who like that, I prefer giving it away. Spread that Joy of giving to family, friends and neighbors. I have done this, I really do practice what I suggest. And this needs to be done periodically, either every year, or every other month. I am about due for another clearing. We need the cleaning, my method of giving it away is the most fun.

We are all in different situations and we all have different needs, I am well aware of all that. I don't seek any gain from this, I only echo the words of our Savior and pray that so many prioritize Him. Nothing else (possessions) should matter at all only Him, they only become distractions. Now take a moment and look at scripture again, these are Jesus' words, "Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:38-39. Now of cause figuratively speaking, if we were to take up our cross and follow Him, how much more could we carry? If we are lucky, maybe another two or three things, at most. And look at the end of that verse, "whoever loses their life for my sake will find it." So whatever identity we have with all these things, must be lost; in order for us to find our life in Jesus, in carrying our cross following after Him.

We really need to place all our trust and all of our attention to our Lord, as we begin to do all these things. It is completely possible to do this. I have shared many many times about how I give things away, and what I did and how I did it. We don't want to over burden others with our stuff, so spreading it out is what I found worked best; then you are able to bring Joy to many. Try to spend some serious time doing this, even if it took a couple weeks or months. De-clutter and deprogram yourself from all these needless, pointless possessions. At judgment day, God will not care about your baseball card collection. And no, even if you are a clothes horse, and you have the latest styles; or a closest full of shoes and a pair of shoes for everyday of the year. No extra credit will be given, but if in our unselfishness we share with others and we place no other gods before Him, then great will be our treasure be in Heaven. We must remember it's not what we possess that matters, it's what give that matters.

Consider This: This is like a "Vow of Poverty" obviously not literally, but consider it to be to it as close as you can live that vow. Because the vow of poverty manifests itself three ways:


1. Complete reliance on God. (deepening your faith)
2. Simplicity of Life. (requiring less to be happy)
3. Solidarity with The Poor. (you understand)

"Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Glorious Mysteries

1. The Resurrection
2. The Ascension
3. The Descent of The Holy Spirit
4. The Assumption
5. The Coronation