Monday, February 7, 2011

Jesus Baptized - Promises

Beads of Joy 02-07-11

Jesus Baptized - Baptismal Promises
©2011 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

DECADE OF THOUGHT: "Baptism of Jesus - How do we see how our own baptism has made our life better, and more Jesus focused?"

We are truly transformed at our Baptism. Our lives become one with God on that day. Jesus becomes a very real part of who we are in Him. Obviously as an infant for us we can't experience all that, that is why we have Confirmation later in life, to reconfirm our Baptism. But what about Jesus being baptized? Jesus is the Holy One, the Man of God who was without sin. Why was He baptized? It is said that His baptism was not for His renewed life, but rather in preparation for His brutal death on the cross. In all intended purposes, when Jesus came to save the world through His death; He didn't come into the world as a King, or a Lord. He was rather born into poverty in a manger. We can plainly see by His ministry and His teachings, and who He hung out with; that He became one of us, and He hung out with sinners. The Baptism of Jesus at the Jordan was God's will completely, let us take a real quick look at the scripture that captures this entire baptismal event. You will be able to see by the scripture how on that day, the Heavens opened and the Holy Spirit came down; and God spoke directly to His Son for all to hear. Truly a mystery in our Lord's life no doubt.

Mark 1:9-13
"In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens opened and the Spirit descending upon him like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, "Thou are my beloved Son; with thee I am well pleased." The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered to him."

Isn't it always so exciting and even down right incredible to see scripture. Maybe I'm just over the top with all this, but then maybe I'm not. I don't know how to help you see it the way I do, but I know many of you do. Scripture is of God, it is of Jesus, and it is written through the guidance and inspiration of the Spirit. I think I phrased that correctly. For the sake of what I just said, here is what scripture says about scripture, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17. Ok, I just had to share all that, now back on topic, Gregory of Nazianzus, a seventh century Church father said this about our own baptism: “Let us be buried with Christ by Baptism to rise with him; let us go down with him to be raised with him; and let us rise with him to be glorified with him." Our goal and objective as God's children is to become the most productive instrument and channel for the peace of God to use for all mankind. How can we be effective and really make a difference in the world, so that we can help lead others to Him? That is something we should all be considering everyday. Yes, I do 24/7/365. That's why I never shut up or sit down. LOL

I pray that your baptism then confirmation has brought your heart and life as one with Jesus. Our Lord was immediately led off into the desert by the Spirit. Was it so He would be tempted and be hungry for forty days? Absolutely not, rather this was to send Him out, to strengthen Him. Temptation and even the work of the evil one to destroy is all about testing and strengthening our Spirit. Preparing us for the battle, is another way to see it. I find no threat going through this. Many people fold under the stress of stress and hardship; but we rather need to do our sit-up and run that marathon mile to prepare ourselves for the challenges and discouragements ahead. I am not just saying that, I sincerely believe it and live it every day.

I had my life changing moment in 1983. And then the last 28 years I have been praying and hitting the pavement speaking non-stop through my life about Jesus and the Rosary. I can plainly see how all those years of training and testing, through the good and bad and even over the top difficult times; have helped make these even more difficult times of pain and hardship so much easier to get through. It's not that I can flick it off my shoulder, what happens instead; is that I can more fully, completely, seriously trust in my Lord, more now than ever before. I have been through the 40 day desert hike, with no food, no water, no nothing. So now with all these things going on, I am stronger, way more in love with my Lord, and I have absolutely have no doubt in His will for us. No I do not know His will exactly per say for us, but I will and I do say; whatever His will is for us, is exactly what we want. It don't matter what it is, God is preparing us to continue His will in our lives, and so must we forge forward, through this challenge to further strengthen us for whatever is ahead. Stay strong and continue trusting fully in Him.

"Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Joyful Mysteries

1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Birth of Jesus
4. The Presentation in The Temple
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple