Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Son of Man is Lord

BEADS OF JOY 01-16-18
“The Son of Man is Lord”
©2018 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,


Today’s Gospel: Mark 2:23-28 (Disciples and the Sabbath)
“One Sabbath he was going through the grain fields; and as they made their way his disciples began to pluck heads of grain. And the Pharisees said to him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?" And he said to them, "Have you never read what David did, when he was in need and was hungry, he and those who were with him: how he entered the house of God, when Abiathar was high priest, and ate the bread of the Presence, which it is not lawful for any but the priests to eat, and also gave it to those who were with him?" And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath; so, the Son of man is lord even of the Sabbath."

Reflection:
When do you celebrate Jesus in your life? Every single day! Right! We are so blessed, and we are so loved by God’s goodness, that He has also given us the Sabbath every single week; to remember and to celebrate God’s love for us. This is the one day set apart, from work and worldly activities; to praise and thank and love Almighty God. How much do you love the Holy Mass? Decades ago I got my hands on a hymnal that had the Order of The Mass in it. And yes, of cause, I asked my priest if I can take it home, with the intent to bring it back the following Sunday, which I did. I brought it home, so I can get my own subscription. I so wanted to know the Mass fully.

This action of great desire to know the Mass, developed a great love that I have for the Mass to this day. Back then at home in my prayer time, on my work breaks and many other opportunities of prayer; I would read and read and read and re-read pray, so that the very Mass prayers I loved so much, were imbedded in my heart. I was never happy with just going to Mass, I wanted to have it memorized in my heart. Not, just for the purpose of memorizing, more for the love and praise to my Lord. At times the Holy Mass still replays in my mind and in my heart. I love that so much.

For so many years and sometimes still, under my breath and in my head; I will be praying the prayers the Priest is praying during the Mass. Fr. Mullally used to say to me, “Why do you pray all my prayers? I see you moving your lips saying the words I am praying on the altar.” I said, “Father, I love the Mass, all of it, every word in it; my heart is jumping for joy hearing it, saying it, knowing it.” He said to me, “You know Jim, you really don’t need to.” I know I didn’t need to, I wanted to. It is funny though, occasionally when Fr Mullally would trip over a word or miss a word or anything of that nature, he would get eye contact with me and give me quick raised eyebrow. Chrissy used to say, “I knew Father was going to look at you, because if anyone caught that, he knows you did.” I never criticized him, I just love the Mass with all my heart.

Pondering these thoughts today: How does one get to know the Mass so well? I guess the easiest and even best way, is to go to Mass as often as you possibly can and follow along with an open heart to absorb it. Yes? No? Of cause, but there are many other ways to learn and understand the Mass today. I wish I had the technology that is available today, when I was growing in my faith. Today the online resources are endless. A little personal side note: Some of you know this, back in 1983 I had a great desire to become a Priest, me and my mother use to pray about that so much. That deep desire to serve like that, has always resonated in my heart, even to this day. So maybe, just maybe, my desire to know the Mass is deeper than all I have shared. God knows my heart. Here are a few helpful guides to assist you:


THE ORDER OF MASS


Bishop R. Barron on the Mass (What is the Mass?) 11:23



The Mass Explained (Catechetics 101) 10:37





LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Your brother in Christ Jesus 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS

Today is Tuesday: We pray the Sorrowful Mysteries:

The Sorrowful Mysteries

1. Agony on the Garden (Sorrow for sin) –Matt 26:36-46
2. Scourging at the Pillar (Purity) –Mark 15:1-16
3. Crowning with Thorns (Moral Courage) –Matt 27:27-31
4. Carrying of the Cross (Patience) –Mark 15:20-22
5. The Crucifixion (Perseverance) –Luke 23:33-46

Thank you Lord for loving us so much…