Thursday, July 15, 2010

No Burden Is That Heavy

Beads of Joy 07-15-10

No Burden Is That Heavy
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Rejoice I tell you, Rejoice. What a really special gospel we have to reflect upon today. Oh how so many of us need to hear these wonderful assuring words from our Lord. We all go through trials in our lives, so many of us are greatly affected; and the support of family, friends and Jesus are so important to helping us making it through them. Today we learn more about Jesus from Jesus. Today's gospel is Matthew 11:28-30 (The Gentle Mastery of Christ). Jesus teaches us how there is so much joy in bearing the burdens of others. I can't resist, I have to fully share today's scripture so we can look at it again. I get so much joy even just in seeing the words Jesus spoke. "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Joy almost isn't enough of a joyful word to express the kind of joy I experience when I get to read over scripture. Did I make sense or am I fumbling over my words again? LOL

So many us understand that it is during the most difficult of times Jesus unites (yoked) with us. To maybe better understand that, we may need to understand what "yoked" means. Yoked in Jesus' times meant that two oxen where united by a yoke, so that the power and strength of two oxen can get through the toughest plowing. I find the poem "Footprints in the Sand" to be the best relateable comparison to today's reading. We know Jesus always walks with us, but when we are struggling the most and when we need Him the most; it is then that He carries us through those difficult times. Sometimes we don't see it that way, sometimes we don't feel it that way either. We just need to trust in Him, and know that there is no way He would allow us to struggle or suffer alone. You may have to work hard at watching for it initially; but spotting God's hand in all things becomes very noticeably easier the more you watch for it.

How is this possible? Some people that I know and talk to everyday have responded to me like this. "How, and where and when was God there? I have no clue what to look for, but I don't see God at work in your life. What are you talking about? You have been suffering and so has your wife, and your kids, so where's God in all that?" And I must say the argument is worth the thought that maybe they are right. How can God's hand be in something that involves suffering? You know where I am going with this. God has a way of turning any and all situations into something that will bring praise to Him. Check out this scripture, it's very inspiring and enlightening, "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." Romans 5:3-4.

I Dare You To Be Like Jesus. Here's the dare, can we be like Jesus when it comes to helping others? I know the answer is, yes. It's all a matter of us being willing and able to help, hold, assist, cover, whatever we can for someone else. We all know someone who suffers in some way. So let's say you know a neighbor or a family member who because of health reasons can't food shop or shop in general. You have a few options here on how you might want to help them. For starters you can say, "Hey ____ I'm going food shopping, would you like to take the ride with me?" That might open the door if they say, they'd love to but can't, maybe because of standing or walking issues. In turn you can say, "Hey, since I'm going do you have anything you'd like me to pick up for you?" And then let the conversation go wherever the Holy Spirit leads you two. If you can help out with finances at the time would be great. Or be the quiet helper, I prefer that. In other words, they ask you to pickup whatever, and they give you $10, at the cashier it rang up $13.25. Just pay the $3.25 extra and say nothing. Just tuck the receipt in their bag, that way they don't question whether you kept the change. Beg Jesus to guide you through all this, this is a wonderful ministry to be able to help someone else. And whenever you are uncertain, tell Jesus how you feel in this simple prayer, "Jesus, I trust in You".


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO