Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stop Focusing On You

Beads of Joy 08-29-10

Stop Focusing On You
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Sunday is here again, I just love Sunday's. We know that everyday can be the Lord's day if you really want it to be; but regardless, today is officially the Lord's day. Today we are going to be reflecting on Luke 14:1,7-14 (Conduct of Invited Guests and Host). True, sincere, absolute humility comes from the heart, not from a sense of feeling bad about yourself, or thinking less of yourself. In fact, living a life really humble is all about forgetting about yourself. The thing is that you do not have a preoccupation that is all about you, instead you put all others before yourself. And then when we do look inward and see our self, we are truthful and very realistic. Yes we can lie to ourselves if we wish, but why. In being truthful to ourselves, it helps us be more truthful to God and to others. God sees right through our phoniness. So be real and let's stop patting our own selves on our back. There is a reason why we really can't properly pat our own backs the same way when others do. It's because only others can do that.

Avoid pride and selfishness. Really try to keep those two things out of your life, your mind and your thoughts. My little ditty on Pride is this: People Really Into Dignity & Ego. A sad truth about pride, it's one attitude that could really keep us distant from Jesus. In today's gospel we are taught how to curb our pride and how to humble ourselves before others. If we deserve recognition, it is not our place to toot our own horns. The arrogant assumption of being so special is a choice driven by ones pride. Humble yourself before others, do all you can to stay at the end of the line, be the last to pile outside a door, never argue about being first in anything. God knows our place in this life; it's just not our place to identify that place on our own. Pride is the foundation of many sins. We can even be prideful in our spiritual life. We really need to watch what we say, how we say and why we say it. God knows our intention and reasons behind the words we speak. Pride is very destructible and it will eat away at your heart, in time you will not be able to hide the pride you maybe hiding. Soon enough your arrogance will be like a blaring light for all to see. Pray that God guides your heart to His humble feet.

How can we tell if we are more prideful or if we really do have an ego problem? Yes it's a problem in God's eye. I have taken the time to do some research, and here are some thoughts that just might have you thinking if you do have a pride or ego problem. Think about all these things: Do I have pride of my race? Am I arrogant with any particular person or people? Do I praise myself with how truly wonderful I really am? Am I disrespectful to people I see as being below me? Do I have pride of riches, am I so successful that I know it's all because of me and my wonderful knowledge and abilities? Do I belittle people who I see as failures in life and point out all their faults to their child and friends? Did I ever tell someone, don't turn out like that person, instead be like that person? Am I above others and don't mind letting others know it? Am I inconsiderate of others thinking only of myself first? Do I have trouble admitting when I am wrong, knowing that it couldn't be me? And this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many things to consider to really see if we have a problem with pride in our lives. If we feel we maybe slipping into any of these prideful ways, then we need to pray for God to soften your heart and help you to wake up and see the arrogant, rude way you may have been treating others.

Let us embrace true humility and be last in all things. What is the big deal anyway? So you are last to be served, so you park way back in the parking lot, because you were last to pull in. Are you so wonderful and so perfect that the world revolves around you? Please, let's obey what God truly wants us to be, and that is humble before others and before Him. Stop smiling at yourself in the mirror every time you walk by it.. Ah, somebody is laughing and knows they do that. God knows you do that. I know people that do that. I will say that is hysterically funny to watch, but it's also sad. That persons biggest fan of themselves is them self. Please pray that God dulls down the shine you yourself have put on your own armor. Scripture teaches us humility, "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." Matthew 23:12, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2, "But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." James 4:6. Truly the most powerful of the three. Be humble, and pray and ask for God to keep you off that pedestal. He will give you the strength and the wisdom to be humble before Him and others. When in doubt place all your trust in Him by simply praying, "Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO