Monday, September 27, 2010

Jesus Willed To Be Poor

Beads of Joy 09-27-10

Jesus Willed To Be Poor
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

Today just happens to be the Memorial of St. Vincent de Paul. Here is an excerpt telling us a little about him, "Born April 24, 1581, Pouy, now Saint-Vincent-de-Paul, Fr.—died Sept. 27, 1660, Paris; canonized 1737; feast day September 27. French saint, founder of the Congregation of the Mission (Lazarists, or Vincentians) for preaching missions to the peasantry and for educating and training a pastoral clergy." Copyright © 1994-2010 Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc. If there is one priority that Jesus has taught of us, and St Vincent further taught us; it was to take care of the poor. We know that Jesus grew up poor, not because he just ended up that; but rather He made the choice to be born into the poor and become one of them. Jesus clearly knew His mission. Check out these incredible scriptures. "The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor." Matthew 11:5, and, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor." Luke 4:18, and also, "So he replied to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[a] are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor." Luke 7:22.

Well I guess that sums it up, don't it? In some ways it should sum it up. But unfortunately so many see the poor as a burden and hindrance. Sad that people see them like that. The poor can be seen as "Jesus" in so many ways. Jesus himself spoke of this in Matthew's gospel. I won't post the entire scripture, but you can read the entire teaching in Matthew 25:31-46 (The Sheep and The Goats), here is the verse that sums it up best, "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." verse 40. Have you noticed especially over these last few days, how scripture is all entwined and everything said by our Lord is confirmed by His own words elsewhere and throughout Scripture. We have a Mighty caring loving God filled with so much wisdom and love. That alone is such a wonderful revelation and chunk of knowledge that should spark such excitement to our lives. Just today, me and my kids were talking about growing up and being "mature". My daughter Sarah especially, she's 17. I told her it takes many years and a continual increase of responsibilities to gain the maturity and respect of being an adult, a mere change in the number of years you are, don't do anything. She was quick witted, "Dad, mom said you never grew up?" It's just to funny, we can't make this stuff up..

How do things get misinterpreted and then stereotyped? Crazy thought even, but an even more crazy truth. Many of you know me, I am an adult, lol. Hey stop laughing at me. LOL. Anyhow, yes I am an adult, but I am an adult who has a spirit that is so alive inside me that I get giddy, weird, strange and well outright childish. There I said it, I admit it. But my heart is leaping for Joy knowing that one day I will be with my Lord, and that will be the first day, that last for all eternity. The time we are here is simply interpreted by me like this, "THIS IS A TEST! For the next -?- years this station will be conducting a test of the emergency Heavenly system. This is ONLY A TEST." Do you get it now? So do you see what I am saying in a round about, all over the map sort of way? I didn't get lost here off topic, I am still very much on topic. My family at times see me a nutcase, screwball, weird-o, on drugs without drugs sorta guy. LOL. But I take it as "cool" they noticed. It gives me a chance to tell them and so many others "why" I am so strange and why I always act like it's Christmas morning. You know all know why.. The poor are even more misunderstood. Why do so many shun them and treat them like they are diseased. It's time to change those thoughts.

It's so wonderful that we get to remember St. Vincent de Paul today. His work and mission in his life focused on the peasants, the poor and those who had virtually nothing. He was concerned not only for their basic needs of food and clothes, but also for their respect. St. Vincent was a very compassionate man of God. Have any of you ever been "poor"? Do you understand what being poor is? Some think they do, but honestly have no clue. Just because you can't go to the tanning salon this week, or renovation of the newly added wing to the house has been delayed a month, that doesn't mean you are poor. I know poor, my family knows poor. I have shared many experiences about this in our lives. We've been there, and when you are there, you know it. Poor is unlike any experience you will ever know. Every single little thing matters; soap, milk, bread, medications. You name it, when you are poor spending a dollar becomes a challenge. Let us please look at the poor with respect and show them how much we really care for them. Yes let's always pray for them, but step out, give them food, a coat, shoes, whatever, care for them, for they are Jesus in many ways to us. Closing thought: Would we walk past Jesus if He was on the street poor and suffering?

Step out in faith, praying, "Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Joyful Mysteries
1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Birth of Jesus
4. The Presentation in The Temple
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple