Thursday, May 9, 2019

He Who Believes


BEADS OF JOY 05-09-19
“He Who Believes”
©2019 James Dacey, Jr. OFS

My Friends,



Today’s Gospel: John 6:44-51 (Bread of Life Discourse)
“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, `And they shall all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me. Not that anyone has seen the Father except him who is from God; he has seen the Father. Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."

Reflection:
This is an excerpt from a commentary I found online about the entire Bread of Life Discourse.
www.scborromeo.org/papers/bread.pdf  I have never come across this before, I just had to share it. I hope this is helpful and insightful in today’s gospel reflection. That link is for John 6:25-71, that is straight through till Saturday’s gospels. I am only sharing this today. Tomorrow’s reflection will be written by me. From time to time I like to have a variety for everyone to see, how I find material that I study from.

Verse 44: No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him;
God’s grace is necessary in order to have faith and understand (Isaiah 54:13). Jeremiah 31:33-34 has the same theme which accompanies the promise of the new covenant.

and I will raise him up on the last day.
Again, the promise of resurrection. This does not mean that all that is necessary is to “Accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior@ and you will be saved; salvation results not only from belief but believing so deeply that you act on that belief and A Do whatever He tells you@ (John 2:5).

Verse 45: It is written in the prophets, “And they shall all be taught by God.”
Isaiah 54:13 is what He quotes. Is 54 promises the future covenant which God will establish with His people when the messiah comes (see also Isaiah 53:10-12; Jeremiah 31:31-34).

Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me. 46Not that any one has seen the Father
Although the Old Testament sometimes represents God with a form, looked upon by creatures, the Jewish belief was firm: God was invisible and could not be seen by man.

except him who is from God; he has seen the Father.
Jesus has seen the Father; He has come down from heaven (verse 38). Man can know God the Father only through the Son because He as seen Him and has come to reveal Him to us.

Verse 47: Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.
See verse 26 comments. A life and death situation.

Verse 48: I am the bread of life.
Jesus repeats this statement for the second time (verse 35) after repeating the oath; because the audience doubts Him. Having repeatedly identified Himself as one sent by God, Jesus now begins the second part of His discourse where He unveils the mystery of the Eucharist.

Verse 49: Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
The manna sustained physical life but did not make them immortal, physically or spiritually. Their ancestors ate the manna but still made the golden calf.

Verse 50: This is the bread which comes down from heaven,
It is a gift of God.

that a man may eat of it
In the first Passover meal (Exodus 12:6-10) not only did you have to make the sacrifice and sprinkle its blood, you also had to eat it. and not die. If you do not eat the gift of God, you will die.

Verse 51: I am the living bread which came down from heaven;
The third time (verses 35 & 48) that He identifies Himself as the Bread of Life. In Hebrew numerology the number three represents completeness. Jesus does not attempt to soften or alter His teaching. It is the literal meaning, not a figurative or metaphorical one, that He is trying to drive home.

"My ambition as a youth was to apply to the study of the Holy Scriptures all the refinement of dialectics. I did so, but without the humility of the true searcher. I was supposed to knock at the door so that it would open for me. Instead I was pushing it closed, trying to understand in pride what is only learned in humility. However, the all-merciful Lord lifted me up and kept me safe." ~St Augustine of Hippo

Pondering these thoughts today: This is so incredible! Eternal life, are you ready for that? I don’t think we’ll get bored; I know, I am just guessing; but being in the presence of Jesus and our Lady and so many of our loved ones missed and unknown from our family heritage. I think for me; I will be busy for the next hundred thousand years. I think we will have the most fantabulous time in Heaven praying, laughing and smiling. Let us do all we can now in this life, to make sure we go there. Jesus first always! Remember the life of J.O.Y. Jesus 1stOthers 2ndYou Last...



John 6:44-51
Jesus the Bread of life


Why Am I Catholic? The Eucharist
w/ Jackie



LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!

Your brother in Christ Jesus 
And His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr OFS

Today is Thursday: We pray the Luminous Mysteries:

The Luminous Mysteries

1. The Baptism of Jesus (Matt 3:13-17)
2. Wedding Feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
3. Proclamation of the Kingdom of God (Mark 1:15)
4. The Transfiguration (Mark 9:2-13)
5. Institution of the Holy Eucharist (Matt 26:17-30)

Glory and Honor and Praise -Lord Jesus Christ!!




Rosary Man Jim's Luminous Reflections: http://beads-of-joy-blog.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-luminous-mysteries.html


MY FIRST BOOK.
(Mary’s Way of The Cross - .99¢)

MY SECOND BOOK.
(Praying The Complete Rosary - .99¢)

Rosary Man Jim's
Decades With Our Lady Podcast
https://rosarymanjim.podbean.com/