Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Meal Time: Be Reverent

Beads of Joy 05-25-10

Meal Time: Be Reverent
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Living A Healthy Life 2/5
Hello Everyone,

Yes meal time should be reverent, not only to pray before we eat; but in a holy and smart way to eat what is good for us. I'm no Julia Child.. LOL, wow, that was a reach. Ok, I'm no Giada De Laurentiis, Ok, some of you don't know her, well she is my favorite TV cook, she's an Italian cutie pie. Ok, I think I am getting way off track here. There is heat in the kitchen for sure. All kidding aside we really need to start taking care of our bodies, after all, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. Wait before I go any further, I just know many of you are thinking back about all I have said how much I love food, and that I can eat anyone under the table. Very very very true, I confess. But considering our recent challenges in our home, I have re-thunk (I just know that ain't a word. lol) it out and decided to go back to some of my old ways of eating, back when I walked 2-3 miles a day and drank 100+ ounces of water a day. That's like three years ago. You've heard of "Scared Straight", well this is, "Scared Weight". LOL. Stay with me now, we'll have even more fun ahead.

Now that we are thinking about eating in a little bit of a different way, let us consider these thoughts. Doesn't it make you feel like it's time to think about your eating habits? Well I have in the past been crazy making my eating habits work with my body, to show some sort of respect to it. I know this really might not make any sense to some. I'm not going to interrupt myself or start talking to myself again, at least I will try not to. LOL. But know that the way you treat yourself, the very place that the Holy Spirit dwells within you; to me, is a direct reflection as to how you are treating God's temple. If we abuse ourselves with drugs, or alcohol, or overeating; then I would say it's pretty obvious we must not care about ourselves. jesus also said, "This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:38-40

I am for the most part a 95% vegetarian. There are occasions that either for money or general ability that I can't keep the house overstocked with my vege supply of foods. Another thing I'd like to make clear before what I say gets misinterpreted, "What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' " Matthew 15:11. So know that eating any particular way doesn't make clean or unclean, holy or unholy before God. Everyone has different preferences and different likes and dislikes. This is all about what I prefer and why. I really don't like eating meat. And it's not because to me it's just disgusting, it's because I can't see eating an animal, that's cruel. It hurts me to think all these animals are born to die so I can eat them. I just get turned off thinking about that. So I tend to eat lots of veges and fruit, and pasta, and peanuts. My habits may seem a little crazy, but in the whole it's all about me taking care of me, so I can better serve Him.

In time I will post my menu schedule that I have designed for my own personal pleasure. I kept menus for years in my journals. I really can't do it within a blog. I also highly recommend giving your body a flush, some call it a colon flush. But I see it this way. Two times or more a month I fast. It's not a "spiritual fast" though I do them also, instead this is a "health fast". Our bodies just sometimes need a rest, and in doing so, it actually extends our lives. A very profound statement I heard years ago, not sure if this is verbatim, but here's how it went. "The more you eat the shorter you live, the less you eat the longer you live." Our bodies organs need a rest period to repair, rejuvenate and have the chance to work more efficiently. Fasting does that for our digestive organs. When I fast I tend to drink a super high amount of water, to flush out my system, hence my body flush. How much water should we be drinking everyday you ask? One ounce for every 1/2 pound of what we weigh. I am two hundred pounds, so 100 ounces of water. I hope this has been helpful.

Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO