Monday, October 18, 2010

The Annunciation - Dads View

Beads of Joy 10-18-10

The Annunciation - Dads View
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

This is a new twist isn't it, I really hope you enjoy the week ahead. Well for a while now I have been working on looking at the Rosary and it's mysteries from all different vantage points. Obviously the Rosary is my life and it is very important if we can all get to see; how different people see and pray and worship from the direction in life that they are coming from. Meaning a parent, a sibling, maybe a teacher, or a doctor or even a student will indeed pray and perceive the mysteries of the rosary in different ways. All being good, but all being somewhat different. Today let us first look at the first Joyful Mystery - The Annunciation. I hope today's reflection allows you to maybe look into your own lives and reflect on your own view on each of these mysteries. Me, as a dad of five incredible, dynamite kids whom I love and adore with all my heart. I see the annunciation, as a time to rejoice; a "baby" is on the way and we must celebrate, embrace and tell everyone we know that we are going to have a baby. That's the giddy, goofy daddy in me. I am very blessed to have five super kids in my life, and to be part of their lives raising them is such a blessing. I know parents pretty much feel the same way I do about their own children, but I still have to say it anyway, I got thee best kids, PERIOD. I pray that in the future, they to have a sincere love and devotion to our Lord and our Lady like I do. I write, not only to share with everyone and help draw everyone closer to our Lord; but I also write, to leave a legacy of faith for many more generations to come in my blood line forward. The best "thing" to pass through the generations isn't money, or an estate, or whatever; it's our faith.

Let's take a good hard look at Mary's situation. Here she is about fifteen years old, and the Holy Spirit dun got her pregnant. Oh no, this is a bad thing, from a worldly stand point for such a young girl. What does she do? Who does she turn to? How does she not only tell Joseph? But how does she tell her daddy? Most girls look up to their dads and they really don't want to disappoint them. Just a man's first woman in his life is his mom, the first man in a girl's life is her dad. His role in her life is vital, and critical, not only to how she sees and perceives men in the future, but it also helps her in her spiritual walk. Is her dad like Jesus? Does my daddy really care about me? How do I tell my daddy something that I just know will disappoint him? As stated on EWTN's webage in regards to St. Joachim, "Nothing is known of St. Joachim save what is told in apocryphal literature. He was a man of Galilee, husband of Anne, and both he and Anne were in the decline of life when Mary was born. Tradition relates that while Joachim was away from home he had a vision that Anne was to be blessed with a child, and that on his return home, his wife ran forth to tell of the visitation of an angel who had revealed to her the same good tidings. There was ancient belief that a child born of an elderly mother who had given up hope of having offspring was destined for some high purpose and would be blessed by all the world." Knowing all that, we can see that Joachim was a man of God. And that influence and the encounter prior to Mary's birth gave him some insight and preparation for her life.

Hinge sight is always 20/20. We see the events, we know the outcome, we know what Joachim had to do. And I would say he did a fantastic job as a faithful, loyal dad. His example and nurturing certainly played a huge role in our Blessed Mother's life. As a dad I see The Annunciation as a time for a dad to embrace his daughter, be open in understanding what has happened and continue loving and trusting that our Lord's hand is in this situation. Also as a dad, I would never turn away from my daughter or son, no matter what, even if they didn't want me. I am sure Joachim's faith and love for God, kept him even closer to God through these difficult times of understanding what was going on. In this mystery as a dad reflecting on the events we now celebrate, I would say to all dads, "No matter what is happening in your children's lives, especially the difficult and misunderstood things; stay by their side showing them love, forgiveness and unfettered support all the way through the situation, never ever leaving their side, and dad's trust in God and that our Lord's hand is in the midst of these things. Never turn away from your kids, no matter what. No one is perfect, no one is superior, no one needs to be judged so harshly, rather love your kids with the same heart Jesus loves you. Sincerely with all your heart be the dad you know our Lord wants you to be." That's what I would say to all dads as I reflect upon this mystery.

And dad's it's only a rumor, but I believe it to be true, "Only Real Men Pray The Rosary". Yes there is a group that actually uses that name; but aside from that, the concept holds true, so be a real man, and get down on your knees and pray your Rosary to a mighty, powerful, loving God. Scripture clearly states, "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4. Be a Godly example for them. Dad's our kids are watching us. So we must as dads, first be examples of what it means to truly love and honor our Lord, followed by loving and adoring their mom, followed by loving and respecting them. Kids are way more in tune with their parents then their parents are with each other and them. Staying on focus and truth to our faith is critical, we must keep all these things close to our hearts as we move forward raising them. My oldest is twenty two years old, and our youngest is ten. You honestly never stop being a dad. It's really my "proudest" title. I love all the other ones, but hearing my kids say, "dad" or "daddy", or "hey you" lol, ok, maybe not the last one. Just all ecstatic and happy thinking about the five most precious gifts Jesus has allowed us to nurture: James 3rd, Christopher, Sarah, Travis and Charlie.

Thank You Lord for entrusting me with 5 awesome kids.
Lord, may we all pray to you, "Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Joyful Mysteries

1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Birth of Jesus
4. The Presentation in The Temple
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple