Saturday, October 9, 2010

We Fall So Easily Into Sin

Beads of Joy 10-09-10

We Fall So Easily Into Sin
©2010 James Dacey, Jr. SFO

Hello Everyone,

What is it about sin that draws us in? Is it only the sensory part of body that desires it? Is it all about the pleasure of the sin? Could it be the chance to try and get away with breaking the rules or the laws? What is it? I would guess the real answer is that it is different for every single one of us. Some of us sin against others, or against the spirit, or even directly against God. Sin comes in many forms. We can even sin against our own bodies, which is God's temple. Sin has been acceptably embedded in our habits, it's embedded in our words and in our everyday life. How can we possibly stay clear of sin and live a life pleasing to God? That is one of the most difficult questions to answers, if we are being honest with the real answer. I want everyone to also understand that I do not write this in any way, where I imply or someone may think I imply that I am without sin. I am furthest from being without sin. With that said, I would say that if anything, I do my best, to try to keep my soul and body and spirit as clean as I possibly can before the Lord. I have fallen victum to many bad habits. I try so hard to stay in check with myself, meaning that I will not knowingly forge forward into sin, especially mortal sin. Yes, "concupiscence" plays a role in all our lives. We are all sinners we all fall. The secret is getting up, begging God for forgiveness and then do our best to not knowingly walk straight back into that same sin.

Mortal sins are the ones we really need to do our best to stay away from. Mortal sin isn't something we accidentally do. Mortal sin is deliberate sin that we pretty much slam into God's face, knowing well that this offends Almighty God. Mortal sin is a choice, a choice we make personally. These are the three conditions that make sin "mortal", which by the way means deadly.

1. The sin must be of "Grave Matter", St. Paul summed up this list and he was straight to the point as to how serious these sins really are, "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." Galatians 5:19-21. We are clearly warned.

2. The sin must be committed with "Full Knowledge" of the cost and consequences should we continue to commit such sin. Obviously all those sins above, we would pretty much know we are committing. We knowingly offend God, we knowingly go against the commandments, we knowingly hate someone, we knowingly put idols of gold and money before God, we knowingly use our bodies for our own pleasures.

3. The sin must be done with "Deliberate Consent". We don't care that we know it is of grave matter and that we know the consequences, we do it anyway. None of that matters we just do it anyway, sometimes over and over again. I think this the hardest part of the conditions that make this so offensive to God.

I pray that as long as we keep these things before us; and we do our best to stay as pure and as clean as we possibly can before God, He will know our heart. Praise Jesus for the Sacrament of Reconciliation. God allows us with the assistance of a priest, to ask God for forgiveness, which He gives us. Some ask "Why go to confession? I'll just look up to Heaven and ask for God's forgiveness." It's really simple. Sin is shameful, and sometimes very embarrassing. Think about it, do you really want to tell a priest that you are: purposely living a life drunkenness causing you to do things that hurt your family? How about telling a priest that you commit adultery all the time? Or that your personal private sexual desires can't be contained. Oh My.. Of cause who wants to humiliate themselves, no one of cause. But we must do this, for any sin that we are ashamed of, and of cause all the others. Jesus died for our sins, including all our mortal sins, including the ones we are reflecting upon today. Jesus died in humiliation, naked, up on a cross. His death was horrible and cruel. Why should we be allowed to avoid humiliation if by our own purposeful acts of selfishness, when we commit these sins, we only further make our Lord bleed. Let us put down the hammer and nails.

We are all sinners, we to must pay the price of humiliation at confession. I look at it this way. Don't commit the crime (sin), if you can't do the time (confession before a priest). I know so many of you personally, and I do realize that we all have a private life also. This may or may not pertain to so many of us, and praise Jesus if it don't. But those of us who need these truths to be placed before us again, I pray that we use them to draw ever so much closer to our Lord.

REMEDY: What can I (you, me, we, us) do to do our best to avoid as much sin as we possibly can? Simply have a very personal, real love for Jesus, a love that never wants you to offend or hurt Him. It's a relationship my friends, let us offend and hurt the one we love. And keep that thought on your heart everyday. And then simply do whatever you like. Because if indeed you love Jesus with all your heart, and you really don't want to offend or hurt Him, then you will not knowingly sin against Him. What I have found by doing that, is that your sins will tend to be more venial in nature.

And always pray, constantly, prayer is a powerful deterrent from sin.
Pray, "Jesus, I trust in You."


Your brother in Christ Jesus & His Most Blessed Mother,
Jim (The Rosary Man) Dacey Jr SFO

Today we pray the Joyful Mysteries
1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Birth of Jesus
4. The Presentation in The Temple
5. Finding of Jesus in the Temple